Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Pics
Can anyone help me guess the age of my new babies? I picked them up yesterday at the store and forgot to find out the age. Today when I called to find out the employee said that's they're usually 1-3 days old but sometimes can be a week old -- yeah.. suuuuper helpful there!! Anyway here are a few picture of their cute little butts. The reason I'm having a hard time with their age is the fact that they have so many wing feathers and even tail feathers but are still so tiny. I've had other breeds that seemed twice the handful while still completely fuzzball so I am at a loss. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks!

My last hatch of GCMs look the same exact age as your pictures, mine are 8 days old.

Oh good grief! I should have known! I mean they had tail feathers for goodness sake! But I was blinded by cuteness and by the fact that I'm new to this breed. I'm not really upset, it's not like it changes anything for me, but that particular store starts discounting chicks after a week and I definitely did not get my discount! In the end though we're talking about quarters and I do love the little chickies. Now we wait and see how many "pullets" are actually just that. Because I have the worst luck with the whole 90% accuracy rates they advertise. I'm super excited though. I feel like I've been waiting forever to find some cuckoos. Now I can officially be a part of this thread!
263a.png

I have 2 GCMs. The one on top of the water and right below. This was about a week before they went outside to the big coop.
So 4 or 5 weeks I think...

They are my most outgoing and curious ladies. Although... I'm starting to think one is not so much a lady.....as a rooster..

Lounging in the sun at 3 months.

I have 5 GCM's that are currently hatching, 2 already hatched and 3 more with cracked shells that should be here in the morning. I will post pics tomorrow, maybe I can get some help sexing them.

Last edited:
I have 2 GCMs. The one on top of the water and right below. This was about a week before they went outside to the big coop.
So 4 or 5 weeks I think...

They are my most outgoing and curious ladies. Although... I'm starting to think one is not so much a lady.....as a rooster..

Lounging in the sun at 3 months.
I have found the GCMs to be very outgoing and confident. They are at the top of the pecking order. Your two are definitely girls. At that age the boys are silver & black patterned cuckoo with cream colored heads.

These are boys on the right.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom