Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Thank you so much! I was just looking for darker brown eggs so we will see what this one produces (if it's a pullet...I ordered pullet but you never know!)

Chicken genetics are fascinating!

IMG_0362.JPG IMG_0366.JPG So, update. The hatchery said definitely GCM. They had "management" look at my pics.

4 weeks old now - wondering about sex. I know it's early. But no tail feathers yet, and getting some light gold chest feathers. Maybe cockerel? But the wing feathers are darker so that makes me think pullet. He/she is smaller than the other same age chicks. Are Marans slower to develop? I've never had one before.

I've had a small setback with the last blue pullet that I had kept. The two I kept developed extra points (carnation comb) on the back of the comb. I'm not sure which hen was the parent as well. So I sold them as layers locally.

2017-05-14 19.01.16.jpg

2017-05-14 19.00.54.jpg

2017-05-14 18.59.43.jpg

2017-05-14 19.00.21.jpg

I've decided to start over with the line. I used the Main rooster over a blue copper hen with dark eggs. I've got 20 chicks from this cross that I'm growing out to see how they do. I'm no longer going to be using my original rooster after this point.

This cockeral was from one of her eggs as well. He's about 4-5 months old. I'm hoping he turns out nice. Points on the comb are nice without sprigs.
2017-05-14 15.38.09.jpg

Last edited:
I've had a small setback with the last blue pullet that I had kept. The two I kept developed extra points (carnation comb) on the back of the comb. I'm not sure which hen was the parent as well. So I sold them as layers locally.

View attachment 554261
View attachment 554259

View attachment 554266

View attachment 554269
I've decided to start over with the line. I used the Main rooster over a blue copper hen with dark eggs. I've got 20 chicks from this cross that I'm growing out to see how they do. I'm no longer going to be using my original rooster after this point.

This cockeral was from one of her eggs as well. He's about 4-5 months old. I'm hoping he turns out nice. Points on the comb are nice without sprigs.
View attachment 554286

he look good to me this BL GC.
one thing I don t like about him is his tail .open form .
love his head and eyes .
lovely long back

good luck with your new restart of the line .

chooks man

My oldest male and female from my @morbius18 original line of GCM. I have a bunch more littler ones too.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_ab7.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ab7.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 9
  • fullsizeoutput_ab2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ab2.jpeg
    626.8 KB · Views: 47
  • fullsizeoutput_aba.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_aba.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 54
In my experience their eggs are not as dark brown as a Black Copper Marans. I put my GCM rooster over my darkest BCM hens, as well as a blue and a cuckoo hen, to hopefully improve the egg color. The eggs are extra large size though.

Thanks for the info! I was interested in getting some GCM's,

Back
Top Bottom