Let's talk Wry Neck/Crook Neck

Just chiming in to say that Shrimp's doing very well! She's still not smart enough to get out of the rain, but her head is upright, and I haven't seen her twist it in weeks! Most of the time, I can't tell between her and my other barred rock. She was even accepted by the rest of the flock and free ranges most days, with her BFF LaLa. Her legs are still white, but her comb is plumper and red most of the time (it sometimes seems that it's even grown a little!) and the past few days her eggs are starting to darken! We kept her on the vitamins for about four weeks and she now gets nutri drench in her waterer about once a week.

Thanks for all of your advice!

So I read through the thread and I'm wondering is it hereditary??? I hatched out a rooster and as soon as he was out out of the egg he was doing somersaults, he soon outgrew that about a week later he got crooked neck, which he outgrew at about 4 months. But even then whenever you picked him up he would tuck his head and kick himself in the face, which at the time I figured was Brain damage. I sold some eggs from his pen and was told 3 of the 12 chicks had crooked neck. A few days later I hatched a few eggs for myself and all the chicks were fine until 3 months one hen got a crooked neck, I still have her and 3 of her sisters and I'm worried about breeding them cause I don't want their offspring having problems, I since sold the rooster and I'm considering selling the hens should I ?

If these are silkies that have the neck problem,possibly your ration may be deficient in Vitamin E as silkies have a problem with vit E absorption. Post on one of the silkie threads & see if they can tell you more about it,or give you more help with your problem.

Yes they are silkies, the rooster wasn't from my birds. The feed I give them is organic and has more wheat and vitamin E in it than feed from stores, I know some people think its hereditary and I'm starting to believe it is cause I recently bought a new rooster and haven't had any problems since. But I really dont want to sell the hens but I will if they would pass that onto chicks

Why would you sell a defective bird to someone else? Keep the birds, eat the eggs or feed them to the dogs, but for heavens sake, don't breed the rooster or sell/hatch the eggs from the hens. Do you not care so much about others that you would pass the heartache unto them?

I have many friends that have very few birds as pets, they don't breed them or eat them, one bird they have is missing half a foot and another is 14 and doesnt lay anymore, these hens would be great pets that just can't be bred. The rooster was already sold to a big farm where the family only keeps roosters and lets them free range, and I only have 3 hens from the rooster which only one has wry neck. Why would I kill her when she and the others would be wonderful pets for someone who doesn't breed and knows about wry neck?

I realize this thread is old, but thank you, thank you, thank you. I had a 6 week old chick with symptoms of wry neck, but thought he was just a bit crooked. Until last night that is. He was outside in his run, after dark, and he never goes outside. And he was digging his head into his chest. And doing summersaults. I googled it, and this was one of the sites that came up about treating wry neck. All I had was omega oils with vitamin e, so gave him one of those and helped him drink lots of water. I wasn't sure if he'd be alive in the morning, but he was and already markedly better. So I went and got vitamins e, b complex and selenium. He had that this morning and hand fed him oatmeal and applesauce. By this afternoon, he was pushing the others away from the food and hopping in and out of the house. I will carry on the treatment, but am astounded by how quick the vitamins work. Thank you.

Hey all, dont know much about wry neck, but for those struggling to find selenium and vitamin e, sunflower seeds have both in them, in high percentages, see below

"Many nuts and seeds contain high levels of Vitamin E, with sunflower seeds containing the highest levels of all.
Sunflower seeds, with close to 30 percent of one's daily value, are also a good selenium source, and a healthier food overall."

from http://www.ehow.com/about_5295998_food-sources-vitamin-selenium.html

Last edited:
Hey all, dont know much about wry neck, but for those struggling to find selenium and vitamin e, sunflower seeds have both in them, in high percentages, see below

"Many nuts and seeds contain high levels of Vitamin E, with sunflower seeds containing the highest levels of all.
Sunflower seeds, with close to 30 percent of one's daily value, are also a good selenium source, and a healthier food overall."

from http://www.ehow.com/about_5295998_food-sources-vitamin-selenium.html
thanks!!!I have a young pullet that I think may have a mild case or the beginings of wry neck, I am giving polyvsol drops but will get her some sunflower seeds too!!

My white silkie Pullet seems to be getting better I trimmed around her eyes so she could see better which I noticed helped the weird angle she held her head at, and she's been getting soft cat food for extra protein (not chicken flavored), sunflower seeds and salted scambled eggs (I heard salt was good for them) now I can hardly her apart from the others :)

Back
Top Bottom