Let's talk Wry Neck/Crook Neck

I would say there's hope, but if it's at all possible I would try and get the vitamins in before you work. I ended up losing a different chick because I waited too long. I stupidly thought it was just tired, so almost 12 hours went by before I found it lying nearly dead on its side. I gave it drops and water and held it but it didn't make it :( This one hadn't exhibited the obvious signs of wry neck until I picked it up. It seems that timing was everything in the case of my chicks. Marshmallow, the survivor, is still doing great and her neck is straightening out like it should. I'm sorry about your loss, and I really hope your first chick pulls through!

sharing data -
Gatorade may have too much salt for chickens.
My feed store carries a vitamin and electrolyte mix for chickens, but it does not include the B vitamins.

I'm nursing my second bird with wry neck now. First bird recovered 100% thank God then just as she recovered my second came down with wry neck. I have all silkies so I suppose its common. I'm treating the second bird same as first. Using Alan Stanford's treatment for wry neck. It includes vitamin E and
vitamin B and selenium to process the E vitamin then
I use poly visol liquid children's vitamins without
iron and then I use predinsone. 1 milligram in the am and one milligram in pm. It cured my first bird 100% and I'm praying it will also cure my second. Its early in her treatment now but my first took about 3 weeks I'm only on the first week of treatment for my second bird. This treatment worked wonderfully on my first bird who had s very severe case. Her head was all the way between her legs and she was doing flips. For severe cases I highly recommend the predinsone.it helps reduce the brain swelling. It really did a great job on my first bird. I'm praying that my second also responds as well. Thanks for reading my story. Hopefully it can help someone in the future.

I have an AWESOME lavender cockerel (silkie) that is 6 months old. He's had it for at least 2 months. He lives in the house (because of the heat). He's been on selenium, Vit E, and Polyvisol. I can't get him better :( I have a pullet in with him to keep him company. He is very romantic with her, but I don't think that he will ever had the coordination to mate. He would rack up in the show ring. I think I jinxed him when he was a chick- saying that he was the best one. I had a chick that got over it in one week!. I hope he gets better. Not just for the breeding and the showing. Because I want him to be comfortable and happy.
fl.gif

-But he would have beautiful chicks. And I have porcelain ladies waiting for him.

-Pam

I have an AWESOME lavender cockerel (silkie) that is 6 months old. He's had it for at least 2 months. He lives in the house (because of the heat). He's been on selenium, Vit E, and Polyvisol. I can't get him better :( I have a pullet in with him to keep him company. He is very romantic with her, but I don't think that he will ever had the coordination to mate. He would rack up in the show ring. I think I jinxed him when he was a chick- saying that he was the best one. I had a chick that got over it in one week!. I hope he gets better. Not just for the breeding and the showing. Because I want him to be comfortable and happy.
fl.gif

-But he would have beautiful chicks. And I have porcelain ladies waiting for him.

-Pam

I wonder if after 2 months and his age, is it possible for him to get better?

Pam

My little chick only 5 weeks old has a crook in her neck she keeps trying to twist it back but I keep stopping her we gave her strawberrys mash up she is a polish fizzy I've bee trying to hold her neck to try to get it back to normal this has never happen to me before since I've been breeding chickens I don't know what to do? Should I go to the vet or something else

My little chick only 5 weeks old has a crook in her neck she keeps trying to twist it back but I keep stopping her we gave her strawberrys mash up she is a polish fizzy I've bee trying to hold her neck to try to get it back to normal this has never happen to me before since I've been breeding chickens I don't know what to do? Should I go to the vet or something else

Separate and follow the guidlines in the beginning of the thread. If it's wry neck, it is treatable and there can be recovery, but you need to be serious about treating
and helping with feeding/watering if necessary. (I wrote about our experience- it the "It's Broken" post.)

Most vets don't treat chickens and won't have a clue. The treatment is all OTC stuff you can find at Walmart.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom