Letting Eggs that were shipped settle?

icewb8

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 22, 2007
Hi in the two books I've read about hatching eggs it says to let them settle down for 6-8 hours with one end down (I forgot which one) and then other places I've read to let them sit for up to 24 hours, what do you all recommend?

Let them sit for at least 8 hours. I have a friend that lets his sit for 24 hours after shipping. It just gives the airsac time to settle after being rattled around. Then, you can candle the eggs and throw away the ones that are bad and either keep or throw away the iffy ones.
I've heard that people will even put the "bad" ones in and candle again at 10 days to see if they took.

It's according if they were out too long after being shipped, or not. I only set them for 6 to 8 hrs if it's been longer than 3 days...happens. :/ I set them 12 hrs. If they only took 2 or 3 days. Sound backwards? If they have been out very long, they need to get into the bator. Never know how long the eggs sat while all were collected for the buyer..you.

It's the pointy end you want down.

I hatch quail not chickens so take it for what it's worth....

I've set 327 shipped quail eggs and I have never let them rest. The longest they have "rested" is 3 hours (and that was in the box until I got home). When I get them I candle to check for any cracks then I place them pointy end down in the incubator and I start turning them on day 1. I do not open the incubator until lockdown. I candle at lockdown, remove the clears, and leave the rest to hatch.

Out of the 300+ eggs (5 separate shipments from 3 different states) I have averaged a 74% hatch rate on total eggs set and I have averaged a 93% hatch rate on viable eggs at lockdown.....

Back
Top Bottom