letting the girls out too late

Bunny68

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
my hubby wanted to get chickens. i work hard/long weeks, so i don't get much time for interacting with the girls. i noticed that he was letting them out of the coop later and later in the morning. i have noticed a decline in eggs. i have tried to encourage him to let the girls out about 7am but he just wont do that, is this the reason the hens have stopped laying so much. please advise !!!

I could be... do you have AT LEAST 4 square feet inside and 10 square feet outside for each bird? If they are crowded they could be stressed. If you have plenty of room and they are well fed, healthy, entertained, parasite free, not moulting, not going broody...geesh, it could be anything!

thank you for your post. All of wot u mention is done, i must admit he does look after them very well. mite free and everything. Is letting them out too late a factor in them not laying so much? if it is then i think this may spur hubby to get them out earlier

Quote:
I don't really think that is a true reason but could be a contributor. Is there light that can get into the coop? Also are they moulting?

Last edited:
hi thanks for yr post sonew 123, i dont think any light can get in, i will check. they were molting but not now. we do however have three rescue hens that were in an awful state when we got them and none of them lay yet. we have three that we have had for 18 mnths and they consistantly lay and have done since the day they got here. i just wondered if they were being let out too late.

changing the subject for a second could you tell me how i can change my user name cos i can only seem to be able to change my password at the mo.

Quote:
If he can't let them out when the sun comes up..and you don't have a light on to supplement it-can you let them out before you go to work?

I leave at 7am with 3 kids to tote to two different schools.My Dh lets birds out by 7:30 for me-8 coops...equal trade:)

Back
Top Bottom