Levamisole wormer info needed

Hi, I am new here, and a friend of a friend once recommended using prohibit levamisole drench powder to worm my flock. I have around 80 chickens, ranging from LF to bantam, and I just want to make sure I am giving the right dosage in their drinking water. I have a 5 gallon waterer that they all drink from, and I gather they will all need to only drink from this water source over a 24 hour period, but I am just not sure how much of the powder should be added to the 5 gallon waterer first. I have read all sorts of conflicting information online for proper dosage with this and am just feeling confused now! I just am nervous and don't want anything bad to happen to them. If I missed this information earlier in the thread, I apologize but would love to know still! Thank you all so much in advance for the help with this! This is the product that I purchased:

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...MI9fqVr7X_5gIVbRitBh1hBwYsEAQYASABEgLH1PD_BwE
The answer is earlier in this thread. Go back to about post 15 on page 2 and read @casportpony ’s posts forward. She gives instructions on mixing a gram of powder into so much water, and how much to give for how much weight. By the way, there are more easy dewormers to use on your chickens, especially Valbazen and Safegaudr Liquid Goat Wormer.

The answer is earlier in this thread. Go back to about post 15 on page 2 and read @casportpony ’s posts forward. She gives instructions on mixing a gram of powder into so much water, and how much to give for how much weight. By the way, there are more easy dewormers to use on your chickens, especially Valbazen and Safegaudr Liquid Goat Wormer.

Thank you and I did see that part of the post - so based on that math as I am needing to know how much powder for a 5 gallon waterer bucket – “you could try mixing 1.1 grams with 20 ml of water and that will give you 20 ml @ 50 mg/ml”

I get 5 gallons = 18,927 ml so 18,927 ml divided by 20 ml = 946.35 x 1.1 grams = 1,040.98 grams into the bucket?

I am terrible with math and will NOT be doing this per chicken and I just want to make sure before doing anything that could potentially harm them. I already have the powder too as I was not thinking dosage would be so complex! :hmm

I had read in another post that the recommended dosage was

Poultry Dosage: 5 grams per 8 litres of water. 8 litres = 2.1 gallons of water.

According to my math based off this and another comment that I had read in another post on deworming types/suggested dosages stating that 1/4 tsp =1 gram of powder I figure that 1.25 tsp = 2 gallons which for a 4 gallon bucket comes out to 2.5 tsp of powder. SO a 5 gallon bucket would be 2.5 tsp plus (1 gallon more = 5 grams divided by 2 (8 litres versus 4 litres now for a gallon) = 2.5 grams which is equal to ¼ tsp x 2.5 grams = 0.625 teaspoons more.

Grand total powder amount for 5 gallon bucket of water = 3.125 teaspoons (round down to just 3 teaspoons total)

Would that be correct?

Thank you all again for the help, I just get super nervous when it comes to medicine and dosages.

My head is spinning, LOL. Many powders weigh approximately 5 grams per teaspoonful, but it can vary with the powder. Some may be lighter or heavier. You are pretty close using 1/4 tsp for a gram with this powder, since there are 4 grams per tsp.

@casportpony is very good with dosages, and when she posts one, it is usally from a vet drug book or through tedious measuring and checking, so I would follow her instructions. She has found errors in dosage directions of manufacturers drug labels quite a few times.

I would give the wormer orally, because chickens may not drink the recommended amount of water, and the water may taste bad to them. It is time consuming, but individual dosing can be the most effective method with little error for underdosing or overdosing.

Lastly, I hope that you know that levamisole is not the safest or commonly used product for worming chickens. Very few people use it in the US anymore, although in many foreign countries, that may be the only one available. I recommend Valbazen or SafeGuard. Those have to be dosed to each chicken as well, but are extremely safe and will treat most chicken worms. Let us know if you need dosages.

Lastly, I hope that you know that levamisole is not the safest or commonly used product for worming chickens. Very few people use it in the US anymore, although in many foreign countries, that may be the only one available. I recommend Valbazen or SafeGuard.
:goodpost: Do this instead.

Back
Top Bottom