LF Cornish - Crossing White/Dark to work towards White

seen this and thought of you, not sure if you may have seen it or not

The standard-bred Cornish fowl; a practical treatise on their standard requirements--mating and breeding--rearing--housing--training and conditioning for exhibition--judging and utility values--genetics and mendelism outlined, etc.
by Bohrer, Fred H

Publication date 1922
Topics Cornish chicken
Publisher Utica, N.Y.
Collection library_of_congress; biodiversity; fedlink
Digitizing sponsor The Library of Congress
Contributor The Library of Congress
Language English
https://archive.org/details/standardbredcorn00bohr/page/n7

seen this and thought of you, not sure if you may have seen it or not

The standard-bred Cornish fowl; a practical treatise on their standard requirements--mating and breeding--rearing--housing--training and conditioning for exhibition--judging and utility values--genetics and mendelism outlined, etc.
by Bohrer, Fred H

Publication date 1922
Topics Cornish chicken
Publisher Utica, N.Y.
Collection library_of_congress; biodiversity; fedlink
Digitizing sponsor The Library of Congress
Contributor The Library of Congress
Language English
https://archive.org/details/standardbredcorn00bohr/page/n7
Thanks! I have an SOP from the 20s but I don’t have this. Thanks!

Hey guys! Last year was kind of a loss for me as far as chickens go. Between building a new house and having a baby, all I did was hatch guinea fowl eggs that we found around the property.

But today I made a step in the right direction, we just got rid of the last of our surplus bantam mix roosters and I was able to use their containment unit to set up my first breeding pen! This is Hop-a-long, one of 3 Cornish roos that was maimed by a bully Blue Cochin I had (I sold him), along with my two original Dark Cornish girls from my trio and the lone White I have left from eggs I got from Fairview01. I had a White cockerel hatch too but he died of suicidal stupidity. Hop-a-long has recovered nicely. He only has a lip if he tries to move fast.

Someone mentioned to me if I breed white to Dark, I might get spangled offspring, which I can breed for to make the spangling more intense. We'll see what we get. :fl

I think I might need to add a light to their coop to get things moving.
aeb59daf-c7e0-4705-93c5-636d1caf8d4e-jpeg.1992826
61d94df0-6fb0-439c-a1d0-3d61efa7a7a5-jpeg.1992828
d60b8cbc-daa0-405a-b4f3-711ef03bb681-jpeg.1992830

I think I have my first cross baby! It doesn't have the wild type down that the Dark chicks usually have. Poor baby needed a hobble because one legs was splayed. Unfortunately this one seems like it may be alone until I hatch out some guineas later this week. I dropped one of the 3 eggs that were to hatch on Thursday and the other one doesn't look like it will hatch.
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG

I LOVE my Premier 1 heater plate! It always does such a good job of drying off and fluffing my chicks up. This baby is a real cutie! Which pic should I post for the EHAL photo contest?
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG

Actually, I don't think the lonely chick (now dubbed Robin) is a Dark/White cross.

I hatched out two more chicks and they are visibly lighter than Robin. Robin is now showing some faint wild type markings and his/her wings are growing in like a Dark chick.
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG

The thing I find really neat on the new babies is their red face masks. They also have some small, irregular black spots on their necks/backs.
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0213.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    394.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
my guess would be Jubilee, As long as your white is dominate white, as a dark on this white should give you (theoretically) all jubilee (looks like a Dark with the black replaced by white). The when you breed the Jubilee back to itself you should get Darks, Whites and Jubilees.

my guess would be Jubilee, As long as your white is dominate white, as a dark on this white should give you (theoretically) all jubilee (looks like a Dark with the black replaced by white). The when you breed the Jubilee back to itself you should get Darks, Whites and Jubilees.
Oh, that would be neat! Then I could work in all 3 colors but only keep 2 breeding groups

Back
Top Bottom