LG Still Air vents?

kinardmommy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Texas
This is my first hatch and I am a few hours away from starting day 20. I have kept one of the top vents open on the LG still air throughout the incubation but now I am having trouble keeping my humidity up. I have the reservoir full,sponges, a dish of water(with small pebbles in it) and wet paper towels in there and with the vent open I can only get it to about 58%. I have closed off the top vent hole and it is now at 66%. SO... is this okay to have both vents closed or will it hinder the process and is the humidity okay?

Just from what I have read yes you plug both holes to raise the humidity. Hopefully someone who knows more will see this soon.

Quote:
You might also want to check your humidity meter.

Still air incubators (is it still air?) can take a long time to change RH, and every time they are opened they have to *start again*.

I had the same question cuz I also have the lg still air I have had alot trouble keeping the temp.consistent.As the weather outside changes warms up the incubator needs adjusting and it is so easy to over adjust.I have ordered a circulating air hovabator and more eggs since I only have 3 left that are still alive

I added the sponges, water dish, etc. throughout the evening yesterday b/c I could not get the humidity up. Finally about 11:30 last night I closed off the vent. Right now it is at 67% so it seems to be rising veeery slowly. If it gets too high I will have to remove some so we'll see.

The hova bator I used has those holes on top too. I was thinking I only got three chicks out of twelve cause maybe I didnt plug or unplug the holes at the right times. I was told by the guy at the farm where I rented it that the holes should remain sealed for three days and then unplug them. Is there a science to plugging and unplugging those holes?

I wasn't sure if they were to regulate the humidity mostly or if there is more to it..like more fresh air needed in the bator at a certain point.

I have the same kind of bator and had the same problem with my first hatch. I found that if I kept a humidifier in the room running 24 and put 2 damp socks(rolled up long wise) in it and it stayed at the right humidity(the socks were only in it after day 18). Good luck!
big_smile.png

Thank you all for the info. I am trying the sock method so I will se if that will work. Today is day 20 so maybe tomorow there will be some action. Keep you posted....
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom