LG won't hold temp or humidity, please help.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mattsculpt, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Mattsculpt

Mattsculpt Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Proctor, Arkansas
    I have a Little Giant incubator. It has a fan and an egg turner. It has worked in the past but suddenly, halfway through this hatch it won't hold temperature or humidity. I have rocks in the bottom to help hold temperature. 4 sponges in the corners and a cloth over the filled water trays to keep the humidity up. Everything is fine for a couple of days, and I'm checking it every three hours and suddenly the humidity drops like a rock to 15 and the temp spikes up to 104. This is driving me crazy. Two days ago I went to the store. I checked it before I left and everything was fine, came back and the temp is 108! I still have movement in all the eggs but who knows what kind of damage it did to the chicks. I have two thermometers and one hygrometer. I checked the hygrometer with the salt test and it is accurate.
    I don't know why the temps spike. I have a surge protector and the room is a steady 70 degrees. Any suggestions? I don't know what I'm going to do during lock down since 50 is the highest I can get the humidity. Can low humidity cause a temperature spike? I'm filling the troughs and wetting the sponges every day.
    I really don't want to lose these eggs, or fry any chicks if they hatch.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Is it near a window or door? That could be affecting the temp.

3. Mattsculpt

Oct 29, 2011
    Proctor, Arkansas
    No, its not near a window or door. I'm beginning to think the thermostat is gone bad. Either that or the cats grew thumbs when I wasn't looking and are turning the dial on the temperature control.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would say either the thermostat or heating element is going in it.

5. Mattsculpt

Oct 29, 2011
    Proctor, Arkansas
    Thanks,
    I'll get replacement parts and meanwhile keep a closer eye on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by