LG won't hold temp or humidity, please help.

Mattsculpt

Songster
11 Years
Oct 29, 2011
Proctor, Arkansas
I have a Little Giant incubator. It has a fan and an egg turner. It has worked in the past but suddenly, halfway through this hatch it won't hold temperature or humidity. I have rocks in the bottom to help hold temperature. 4 sponges in the corners and a cloth over the filled water trays to keep the humidity up. Everything is fine for a couple of days, and I'm checking it every three hours and suddenly the humidity drops like a rock to 15 and the temp spikes up to 104. This is driving me crazy. Two days ago I went to the store. I checked it before I left and everything was fine, came back and the temp is 108! I still have movement in all the eggs but who knows what kind of damage it did to the chicks. I have two thermometers and one hygrometer. I checked the hygrometer with the salt test and it is accurate.
I don't know why the temps spike. I have a surge protector and the room is a steady 70 degrees. Any suggestions? I don't know what I'm going to do during lock down since 50 is the highest I can get the humidity. Can low humidity cause a temperature spike? I'm filling the troughs and wetting the sponges every day.
I really don't want to lose these eggs, or fry any chicks if they hatch.

No, its not near a window or door. I'm beginning to think the thermostat is gone bad. Either that or the cats grew thumbs when I wasn't looking and are turning the dial on the temperature control.

Back
Top Bottom