LGD Owners - Would you be concerned if...

Quote:
Good point about the bottles. We knew they would cool, but they kept him through the coldest part of the night. The fleece, I dunno. He is still such a puppy that he will chew, drag or otherwise disassemble anything he can get his little puppy teeth into. We thought about a blanket but we knew he'd have it shredded and strung across his yard in 30 minutes.
roll.png

I think I'm going to try the hay.
wink.png

Quote:
I think this is probably the best idea for Max. If we can keep the hay contained enough to keep him warm, it should do the trick. Unless of course, he thinks it's a grand toy for him to romp in and it ends up scattered all over the yard.
roll.png

I'm always a little paranoid about hay though, since I read a post on here about someone's chickens getting covered in lice from a hay bale. I guess you just have to cross your fingers.

BTW, your dog has the same colorings as Max. They look a lot alike:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTQtMjAxMTExMjEtMTkzMS5qcGc.jpg

Off topic a bit -- I've been watching Max since your first thread on him. I do not see an St. Bernard in him at all. The darking, obvious markings on his face will fade some over time because that is what the badger markings do on the Pyrs. He's just taking a little more color I think from his mix. He is a gorgeous dog and I hope he does his job well. I
love.gif
Max!!

Quote:
Thank you so much! Yes, he is beautiful.

We had another Great Pyr breeder tell us the same thing. She said if he was part SB, the SB genes usually are dominant. And since Max has the double dews, that means he is probably Pyr with maybe Anatolian because they both have doubles but SB's do not.

Max is already delighting us "doing his job". He alerts us when he needs to, but is quiet the rest of the time. Love him!

He also rides well in a car, does not whine when we go into a store, and at night he prefers to be with the 'flock', though they are in the coop. Now, it doesn't get much better than that! We're delighted with him.

OK, we have settled on a solution of about 5-6 inches of straw. We'll see how he takes to the idea tonight. His first reactions wasn't very favorable. He walked up to his doghouse, looked inside, looked back at DH as if to say... "are you serious?" And then he layed down outside. DH then put his food inside, and Max braved the scary new stuff in his house to get a few bites of food. We'll see if he gets used to it tonight. It's going to be coooooold!

Our Great Pyr's are often seen panting in weather below 32 degrees! These dogs have never been inside a house and are used to being out all times of year. They usually are out on patrol during the night and often are dozing during the day.

112288_farm_etc_008.jpg

Quote:
Your Great Pyr's are beautiful! The one has Max's coloring on his face.

Max also sleeps a lot during the day, but I just thought that was because he was still a puppy.

When he gets a little older, I'm sure he won't need a thing in that dog house to keep him warm.

Back
Top Bottom