LGD's for chickens

jorgalo

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2016
I am getting a LGD this weekend to protect my chicken flock.
They used to free range my 6 acre yard until my neighbour's dog came in and attacked them on 2 separate occasions. Killed or took 7 birds and I never seen them return. Before this they were ranging for about 6-7 months with no issues. So mainly I want my LGD to chase away unwanted visitors. I have about 20 chickens so far. My main question would be the approach of the steps to take for this dog to protect the chickens....should he be with the chickens 24/7 do I introduce them daily and work with the dog and correct things he shouldn't be doing...or do I keep the puppy with the chickens in the coop? I just need advice!! When they range again they are only outside until the sun goes down, then they put themselves to bed and are locked in the coop for the night. For now I have made a moveable chicken coop out of a old trampoline frame so the neighbour's dogs cant get to them and this s how they will stay until I have my dog trained with them and protecting them.. Currently all I have is chickens, down the road I may have pigs ect. This is my first time with a livestock guardian dog so I just want to do the right thing so it works out in our favor!

Keep dog and birds close but separate when not supervised. Supervision will be required when they interact for first year in most instances. If chickens roosting up and secure from dog, then I let dog run about at night once it is about 6 months old but you do not want it doing much more than barking until a year old. Dog may be intermittant threat to birds until 2 years old. By that time it will be able to handle most threats involving one on one encounters. More likely than not, you will need dog proof fencing to keep your dog on that 6 acres. Same fencing could keep neighbor's dogs out.

Centra has it on the dot, also what breed are you getting? I strongly prefer Pyrenees!! And a full blooded one from a approved breeder! Will be pricey but way worth it. Everyone I knew loved being around the chickens and always hauled when they heard a call, but they were 3+ years old and been around them since pups. Also, it's best to have two.. One to train the little one! But take your time with this because it's a fragile process! Good luck!

I am getting a maremma/Pyrenees pup. Mom is a maremma dad is a Pyrenees..they currently live where there is free range chickens around them. Thanks for the help!

Centra has it on the dot, also what breed are you getting? I strongly prefer Pyrenees!! And a full blooded one from a approved breeder! Will be pricey but way worth it. Everyone I knew loved being around the chickens and always hauled when they heard a call, but they were 3+ years old and been around them since pups. Also, it's best to have two.. One to train the little one! But take your time with this because it's a fragile process! Good luck!

Keep dog and birds close but separate when not supervised. Supervision will be required when they interact for first year in most instances. If chickens roosting up and secure from dog, then I let dog run about at night once it is about 6 months old but you do not want it doing much more than barking until a year old. Dog may be intermittant threat to birds until 2 years old. By that time it will be able to handle most threats involving one on one encounters. More likely than not, you will need dog proof fencing to keep your dog on that 6 acres. Same fencing could keep neighbor's dogs out.

Thank you for your reply it definetly helps...yes the fencing I will need to get done, hopefully sooner than later due to the cost of that it hasn't been done yet but it will be done eventually.

Please remember it's a learning process for the dog. An ongoing learning process. :)

That won't be a problem. It's a learning process for me as well. I have only had dogs for house pets and not one that has a job. I'm most concerned with my training abilities and hoping I'm doing the right thing. I am doing lots of research to make sure of this. Thankfully I have patience and I won't be a burden on this pup. We will work as one. Thank you for your input :)

More likely than not, you will need dog proof fencing to keep your dog on that 6 acres. Same fencing could keep neighbor's dogs out.

Lots of excellent advice in this post, but I wanted to highlight this point in particular. Seems like LGDs need fencing more than many other dog breeds. They seem especially prone to wandering, keep in mind, they were bred to roam large pastures. They also seem to need the reminder of where "home" is and that they don't need to leave home to scout out predators.

Lots of excellent advice in this post, but I wanted to highlight this point in particular. Seems like LGDs need fencing more than many other dog breeds. They seem especially prone to wandering, keep in mind, they were bred to roam large pastures. They also seem to need the reminder of where "home" is and that they don't need to leave home to scout out predators.

I no I need a fence but unfortunately with 7 acres its very costly to get done so I am not able to do that anytime soon. something I will have to figure out as I go I geuss.

Back
Top Bottom