LH hen has a hurt claw. how could i help her?

N.O.CityChickens

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
about 3 days ago, i noticed that one of my chickens had a dark redish color claw (finger nail) that was surely causing her pain. she would still scratch around with it but often she'd put her leg up so not to put pressure on her foot with the hurt claw. its the on the middle longest toe so i think it happened from her scratching on something. when i first saw it i figured that it would probably heal naturally but i now cannot stop thinking about it. i'm tempted to put neosporin on it and wrap it with gauze or something. since she still scratches with it i know it will take way longer to heal on its own and maybe even get infected. if anyone has any ideas id like to see them.
thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

I'd clean it and dollop a bit of Neosporin on it. I would not bandage it because the bandage will make her nuts. She'll be picking and pulling at it, and the other birds in her flock will be picking and pulling at it. Any bandage you put on it will be off in 5 minutes, I guarantee. I'd clean it once a day for 3-5 days and put a little Neosporin on it after each cleaning.

Honestly, she would probably heal on her own with no intervention on your part, but it never hurts to take a little extra care when you can. You'll feel better, and she may feel better faster with a little TLC.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom