Liability insurance for selling eggs

animalyodelers

Songster
Oct 21, 2018
Olympia, WA, USA
I have found a couple threads about this, but they all seem to be 2-3+ years old. I'm wondering if opinions have changed.

I'm looking into selling my excess harvest (veggies, fruits, herbs, and eggs) at a local market this summer. I've already researched all my state/county/city laws and requirements. No liability insurance is required.

My only worry is that someone could claim to get sick from my eggs. Obviously, it's extremely unlikely that they would... but that doesn't stop people from making things up. I'm having a hard time finding insurance to help cover this. A lot of people seem to think it isn't necessary.

Thoughts? Has anyone actually purchased liability insurance for this reason??

Thanks!

Of course. We have LLC for our company. For the 6 years we’ve been selling eggs, we have had it. Like you said, their are people that are money-hungry and will make up lies. Is it worth it to lose everything that you have, because of 1 egg?!

Thanks, that is helpful. If my only option here is an LLC I'm not going to bother. It costs $350+ and I'm only looking at making maybe $1000 gross anyway. Factor in other licenses, permits, equipment, feed, supplies, etc. and I'm paying people to take my eggs :gig

Some people have mentioned some homeowners insurance is able to add on this kind of coverage- I may try that before I give up hope!

I wonder if asking for a suggested donation rather than formally selling them while also having a disclaimer about food born illness would cover you where you are. you'd probably need to check with a local attorney. I've seen unattended farm stands where locals just stop by and pick up what they need and leave cash in some kind of drop box. I don't know how often this leads to people stealing without paying but I've always been intrigued by the model.

I also donate my excess eggs and garden produce after friends and relatives to a food bank. A food bank that will take your eggs and produce may be hard to find but maybe a pastor can help with that. My wife used to sell excess eggs at church for whatever people wanted to donate, that money went to a specific charity fund at the church. In most states "good Samaritan" laws give you some protection but each state can be different. More homework for you.

I never did it as it would require good records but perhaps you could write your donations off your taxes if it is a tax exempt food bank.

I wonder if asking for a suggested donation rather than formally selling them while also having a disclaimer about food born illness would cover you where you are. you'd probably need to check with a local attorney. I've seen unattended farm stands where locals just stop by and pick up what they need and leave cash in some kind of drop box. I don't know how often this leads to people stealing without paying but I've always been intrigued by the model.

Yes, people do that in my area and I love the idea! The problem is I can't sell on site due to HOA bylaws. If I sell offsite it has to be a formal situation like a farmer's market. You can't ask for donations at any local farmer's market without being a registered charity.

I also donate my excess eggs and garden produce after friends and relatives to a food bank. A food bank that will take your eggs and produce may be hard to find but maybe a pastor can help with that. My wife used to sell excess eggs at church for whatever people wanted to donate, that money went to a specific charity fund at the church. In most states "good Samaritan" laws give you some protection but each state can be different. More homework for you.

I never did it as it would require good records but perhaps you could write your donations off your taxes if it is a tax exempt food bank.

Our local food bank will gladly take excess produce, and they will even come harvest it for you. The eggs probably not.

I have lots of friends, family, and neighbors who are happy to take extras. The problem is we are barely scraping by as it is, and I'd really love to offset some of our costs. We just break even on what we consume ourselves, when compared with grocery store prices. So it would be nice to make just a little extra to save up for emergencies/vet bills/etc.

Back
Top Bottom