Lice and mites

Wild birds bring poultry mites and lice, and it can happen anytime, unless your flock is never outside or visited by those miserable house wrens. Checking monthly at night with a flashlight (around the vents) is best, and only treat if needed. I have used permethrin powder, but recently discovered permethrin spray, and will never go back! Spinosad is also approved here, but is harder to get, and more expensive. I'll save it as an option in future years. Carbaryl is no longer approved in the USA for chickens, so I'm not using it. DE has limited usefulness in the face of an outbreak, and is nasty to inhale, so I also don't use it, in spite of the many online testimonials. I have lost nice birds to mites, and still feel very guilty about it. Never again! Mary

Totally agree about the Permethrin spray! It's so easy to use compared to dusting! (Although, spray isn't a good thing to use in the middle of winter if you live somewhere cold, so we still have to dust half the year. lol)

Yeah, carbaryl(sevin) has lifetime egg/meat withdrawal in the US per FARAD. You can still get carbaryl here tho.

Permethrin worked great for lice here...no withdrawal.
This is the kinds of rules that come from politicians.

In some countries Sevin dust or carbary is an acceptable treatment with no withdrawal period while Permethrin is not an acceptable treatment for mites and lice on poultry.

This is the main difference between politicians and scientist.

Enjoy your birds and remember that you'll never get out of your current life alive.

Just thought I'd chime in since I'm just having to use carbaryl-based poultry dust for the first time and I did some research on the latent effects of it's use on eggs and meat (when ingested). This is from a fairly old study so take it with a grain of salt but interestingly enough it found that carbaryl is rapidly metabolized and when fed continually to laying hens at a rate of 70 ppm it will reach a peak concentration of 0.4 ppm in their eggs. The carbaryl concentrates more in the yolk than the white and once the feed is no longer being laced the rate of evacuation from the hen's body is about 50% per every 24-36 hours.

I'll be using the product shown below for infestations as it's the only readily available dusting powder where I'm located in Eastern Canada (1 KG is $21.80 CAD). It's inevitable that some will end up being ingested by my hens, even if only used topically, so I'll be withdrawing from their eggs for as long as re-application is necessary and for two weeks afterwards but I don't think that it's entirely necessary - just precautionary - since there is likely no more than 24µg of carbaryl in a 60g egg laid by a hen being regularly dosed and the NOEL (no observed effect level) guidelines for exposure state 0.06mg/kg/day meaning I'd have to eat hundreds of eggs just to reach the threshold of what agricultural workers are allowed to be exposed to.

Carbaryl Evaluation for Acceptable Daily Intake

Cornell University's Extension Toxicology Network - Carbaryl

Last edited:
Regarding FARAD and Carbaryl and fipronil... This is their CYA statement:
Kathy
I emailed FARAD and asked here is the reply
Quote:

Personally I don't care what FARAD says about it, and I would continue to use it *if* it was more effective than permethrin, but it's not, so I will use permetrhrin spray or dust.

this is another article that FARAD cited: ( http://ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/63/1/61.abstract )

Residues of Carbaryl and Two of Its Metabolites in Eggs of Laying Hens Treated with Sevin
00ae.png
for Northern Fowl Mite Control by Dipping1,2

+
Author Affiliations
  1. Veterinary Toxicology and Entomology Research Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, College Station, Texas 77841
  • Received May 9, 1983.
Abstract

White Leghorn laying hens were treated with carbaryl [Sevin
00ae.png
, 1-naphthyl-N-methylcarbamate] by dipping in a .5 or 1.0% (active ingredient) water suspension of an 80% commercially available wettable powder formulation. Residues of carbaryl and two of its metabolites, 1-naphthol and N-hydroxymethyl carbaryl, were detected in eggs within 1 day and reached maximum levels 5 to 7 days after dipping. After that time residues steadily declined but were still detectable 56 days posttreatment in the eggs of the high-dose hens. At no time during the study did total residues in eggs exceed the current. 5 ppm egg tolerance for carbaryl and its metabolites.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Carbaryl is no longer labeled for use in poultry, livestock, and pets, but not because of residues.

-Kathy

Kathy, I think I must have missed something as I can't see why carbaryl is no longer labeled for use in poultry for any reason other than the residue still detectable after many weeks post-treatment? I don't mean to sound combative, just curious what I missed in this thread using my tiny phone screen haha. Something to do with intergovernmental bureaucracy?

Last edited:
Quote:
You didn't miss anything... It was just a labeling change, but no explanation was given. In addition to poultry, other livestock, and pets, some types of veggies were involved in the change. Several of us searched high and low for the "why", but none of us could find out. Additionally, I cannot find any documents that say that the allowable residue in eggs is zero. When I get back on the computer I'll post all of the info I found.

-Kathy

@JayColli , here is the label change info we found:

That was found here:
http://articles.extension.org/pages/66983/drugs-approved-for-use-in-conventional-poultry-production

Last edited:
Question, do your chickens have access to a dust bath? As strange as it looks to the uninitiated they do this for a very good reason; pest control. The dust helps to kill parasites. Mixing some DE into their 'dust' can make it even more effective. And there are no dust clouds for you to inhale either.

Back
Top Bottom