Lice and mites

MKluckers

Hatching
Sep 26, 2016
Crescent City, CA
We just started out with chickens. New coop, hen house and run. No chickens ever been here before and raised the chicks from day olds. So my question is, how will I know when to start lice and mite management? Is there a normal management plan for this? Not sure when or how to start. The chicks are just over 3 months old.

Just thought I'd chime in since I'm just having to use carbaryl-based poultry dust for the first time and I did some research on the latent effects of it's use on eggs and meat (when ingested). This is from a fairly old study so take it with a grain of salt but interestingly enough it found that carbaryl is rapidly metabolized and when fed continually to laying hens at a rate of 70 ppm it will reach a peak concentration of 0.4 ppm in their eggs. The carbaryl concentrates more in the yolk than the white and once the feed is no longer being laced the rate of evacuation from the hen's body is about 50% per every 24-36 hours.

I'll be using the product shown below for infestations as it's the only readily available dusting powder where I'm located in Eastern Canada (1 KG is $21.80 CAD). It's inevitable that some will end up being ingested by my hens, even if only used topically, so I'll be withdrawing from their eggs for as long as re-application is necessary and for two weeks afterwards but I don't think that it's entirely necessary - just precautionary - since there is likely no more than 24µg of carbaryl in a 60g egg laid by a hen being regularly dosed and the NOEL (no observed effect level) guidelines for exposure state 0.06mg/kg/day meaning I'd have to eat hundreds of eggs just to reach the threshold of what agricultural workers are allowed to be exposed to.

Carbaryl Evaluation for Acceptable Daily Intake

Cornell University's Extension Toxicology Network - Carbaryl

Last edited:
Yeah, carbaryl(sevin) has lifetime egg/meat withdrawal in the US per FARAD. You can still get carbaryl here tho.

Permethrin worked great for lice here...no withdrawal.
This is the kinds of rules that come from politicians.

In some countries Sevin dust or carbary is an acceptable treatment with no withdrawal period while Permethrin is not an acceptable treatment for mites and lice on poultry.

This is the main difference between politicians and scientist.

Enjoy your birds and remember that you'll never get out of your current life alive.

Just check them once a month for bugs and don't treat them unless you actually see evidence of the bugs. I think checking them in the dark with a strong flashlight is the easiest way to see mites. They may not ever get them, but it's good to stay on top of it if they do.

Just check them once a month for bugs and don't treat them unless you actually see evidence of the bugs. I think checking them in the dark with a strong flashlight is the easiest way to see mites. They may not ever get them, but it's good to stay on top of it if they do.
Ditto Dat^^^^

In nine years of keeping chickens, this year was the first I've ever seen lice on them. I've never treated for parasites of any kind until recently. I used Elector PSP. But don't worry about it unless you see the bugs on your chickens.

The way I discovered the lice was when I was doing butt washes. I have several hens who are sloppy poopers, and I've always washed dirty butts. This summer, I was shocked to see red bugs crawling around on the skin around their vents. Not all of the flock had the lice, which was interesting. The youngest ones seemed to be immune.

Quote: I use Dominion Dusting Powder....I replied once and was told it is not available in the US...It is 5% Carbaryl....

Cheers!
Yeah, carbaryl(sevin) has lifetime egg/meat withdrawal in the US per FARAD. You can still get carbaryl here tho.

Permethrin worked great for lice here...no withdrawal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom