Lice and mites

MKluckers

Hatching
Sep 26, 2016
Crescent City, CA
We just started out with chickens. New coop, hen house and run. No chickens ever been here before and raised the chicks from day olds. So my question is, how will I know when to start lice and mite management? Is there a normal management plan for this? Not sure when or how to start. The chicks are just over 3 months old.

Just check them once a month for bugs and don't treat them unless you actually see evidence of the bugs. I think checking them in the dark with a strong flashlight is the easiest way to see mites. They may not ever get them, but it's good to stay on top of it if they do.

Just check them once a month for bugs and don't treat them unless you actually see evidence of the bugs. I think checking them in the dark with a strong flashlight is the easiest way to see mites. They may not ever get them, but it's good to stay on top of it if they do.
Ditto Dat^^^^

In nine years of keeping chickens, this year was the first I've ever seen lice on them. I've never treated for parasites of any kind until recently. I used Elector PSP. But don't worry about it unless you see the bugs on your chickens.

The way I discovered the lice was when I was doing butt washes. I have several hens who are sloppy poopers, and I've always washed dirty butts. This summer, I was shocked to see red bugs crawling around on the skin around their vents. Not all of the flock had the lice, which was interesting. The youngest ones seemed to be immune.

Quote: I use Dominion Dusting Powder....I replied once and was told it is not available in the US...It is 5% Carbaryl....

Cheers!
Yeah, carbaryl(sevin) has lifetime egg/meat withdrawal in the US per FARAD. You can still get carbaryl here tho.

Permethrin worked great for lice here...no withdrawal.

Last edited:
Quote: I use Dominion Dusting Powder....I replied once and was told it is not available in the US...It is 5% Carbaryl....

Cheers!
Yeah, carbaryl(sevin) has lifetime egg/meat withdrawal in the US per FARAD. You can still get carbaryl here tho.

Permethrin worked great for lice here...no withdrawal.
Things could change here?? As for now it is still available...As I said, I never treat my animals with it.....Just under bedding and rub on my roost....

Wild birds bring poultry mites and lice, and it can happen anytime, unless your flock is never outside or visited by those miserable house wrens. Checking monthly at night with a flashlight (around the vents) is best, and only treat if needed. I have used permethrin powder, but recently discovered permethrin spray, and will never go back! Spinosad is also approved here, but is harder to get, and more expensive. I'll save it as an option in future years. Carbaryl is no longer approved in the USA for chickens, so I'm not using it. DE has limited usefulness in the face of an outbreak, and is nasty to inhale, so I also don't use it, in spite of the many online testimonials. I have lost nice birds to mites, and still feel very guilty about it. Never again! Mary

Back
Top Bottom