Lice and mites

I would dust the calmer birds themselves as well as their perching. For the "crazy" species, I would dust their perching locations & areas where they were dusting in the aviary. I never did it that often, usually once the weather warmed up and it seemed to last year long. Only had one bad outbreak after I received a pheasant that was covered with them. The one dose on all the birds after that one bird seemed to knock them out, but then went into preventive treatment afterwards.

It is a good idea to do so, particularly if there are wild birds close the area. I always had wild bird feeders, suet blocks, & baths around so I could bird my yard, but it also attracted the dreaded English (House) Sparrow & evil European Starlings (I love nearly all bird species, but these two, they REALLY are a scourge in the US
somad.gif
, wrecking havoc where ever they go!!!) - both species are known lice carriers. Never worried too much about the native sparrows or other natives. Small mesh will also keep the two mentioned species out - most of the time, but they are rats & mice with feathers and it never failed that a colony would establish themselves no matter what I did to prevent them.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom