Lice bath recommendations?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TxAg11, Jul 18, 2016.

1. TxAg11

TxAg11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I knew this day would come. Some of our fatter hens start losing a substantial amount of weight, frequent pale combs, and our most docile White Brahma started making constant "honking" noises. They also pant with their mouths open (no sneezing), but I assume this is due to the heat. Please correct me if I'm missing something or if this is abnormal.
    I looked under a few of their feathers and found little white/yellow critters, which after consulting Dr. Google, appear to be lice. I guess there could be worse problems, right?

My question is this: For those of us that are not fond of dusting with DE, are there any lice bath recommendations where I can use a dunk-soak-and-rinse method? Most of my hens are pretty free spirits, so catching them will not be a fun task. We have 11. I'll likely have to do this at night so I can just snatch them out of the coop. I'd like to do this the easiest and most efficent way possible. I don't like the idea of using DE, as I'm pretty clumsy and don't want to risk my wife's, my hen's and my own respiratory health. Any yes, I recently added DE to their new dust baths, but I have yet to see them use the new baths I've provided. Usually they just use a dirty patch.

Hopefully this will help with the weight loss and incessant honking from our, likely uncomfortable, white brahma. If this doesn't work, she's going on Craigslist.

Thanks in advance

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I gave mine baths that consisted of the white vinegar in one bucket, then a bucket of water, and then I rubbed apple cider underneath their wings and their neck.

The lice was gone in 1 day on my cochin and red sexlinks. It took the other birds a few days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by