Lice, I surrender.

Rockporters

Songster
Apr 9, 2019
New Hampshire
I give... how do you get the egg sacs off of the feather base? Here’s what I’ve tried:

Soaking for 7 min in a Dawn bath. Soak for a few minutes in clear water. Soak 7 minutes in apple cider vinegar bath. Dry. Dust at feather base with DE.

This is our 3rd bath in 3-4 weeks.

I DO NOT see any moving/alive lice anymore. The egg sacs are, however, still attached like glue. Are the lice in them dead, do you suppose? How do you remove the sacs?

First time having birds shipped to me. Fun. :he

Lice eggs hatch in about 10 days, so treating for lice at 10 day intervals 2 to 3 times with permethrin should get rid of them. But the coop must be emptied of bedding and discarded, and the coop, nests, roost should be treated with a permethrin or spinosad product as well. Someone used to post about coconut oil being used to remove lice eggs, but I cannot say if that works. I have used Martins or Gordons permethrin 10 mixed with water in a spray bottle with good results, and those may be found at most TSC or feed stores:
upload_2019-10-19_13-28-11.png

It sounds like you've treated her for lice already. Did you do a second treatment 10 days after the first? That is needed to kill any new lice that are hatching. Then visually check again 10 days later to make sure there are no moving lice (if there are treat again), but two treatments is usually enough.

As for any little sticky sacs left behind? I just left them on the chickens and they eventually went away -- preening, molting, etc.

Lice eggs hatch in about 10 days, so treating for lice at 10 day intervals 2 to 3 times with permethrin should get rid of them. But the coop must be emptied of bedding and discarded, and the coop, nests, roost should be treated with a permethrin or spinosad product as well. Someone used to post about coconut oil being used to remove lice eggs, but I cannot say if that works. I have used Martins or Gordons permethrin 10 mixed with water in a spray bottle with good results, and those may be found at most TSC or feed stores:
View attachment 1938788
Cross posted something similar. Agree completely.

When I replace the bedding I liberally apply Live Stock Dust (with Permethrin) to the new bedding.. and before i do that I spray down the entire coop, floor to ceiling (don't forget under the roosts). The purpose of the dust is that it is still around in 10 days when new pests hatch.

Thank you all! Yes, I did bath 10 days apart, 3 baths total. I don’t see any lice moving around, so I think we’ve conquered it. I was worried about the eggs, but it sounds like they will come off eventually.

They are still sequestered. In the garage, in a big dog cage. Luckily I don’t have to worry about treating a coop or other birds.

I didn’t think about treating with permethrin, will try that next time!

Back
Top Bottom