Lice/Mites?

BarrettRanch

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Good Morning! We have raised chickens for about 3 years and have never had an issue with any type of disease/parasites but we have a new batch of birds that have been in the chicken tractor for about 4 weeks and they are about 7 weeks old. A majority of them do not have the issue but we have a handful that are missing feathers on their backs, under wings, and one "polish" that seems to be missing some on his head. I've been reading the other threads and trying to look at pictures to try to identify what we have going on but I can't seem to really find anything similar. The skin under is not red and inflamed and I can't seem to see anything on the area or anything left behind.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

They look like they have been the victims of feather pickers. Polish types are particularly likely to get their crests pulled, and the pic is a typical feather picking pattern. So maybe with this new environment it will stop, although those feathers on the back may not grow back til after a molt. You might want to consider a saddle for that one. I use this kind. I don't even make the tail hole, just the two wing holes. You'll probably toss the first couple of tries if you're like me:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/patterns-chicken-saddles

Judy,
By feather pickers, I assume you mean other chickens? I'm guessing you're right as it seems the smaller breeds are the ones who have the issue. We ordered a hatchery surprise so as you can imagine, we have a large variety of birds and sizes. I'm thinking that we should move the larger birds to another tractor or building.....

Yes, other chickens. It's usually caused by too little space or too little protein in the diet. But if you put 7 week old chicks in with adults, and it's the young ones getting picked, then it's likely the adults are going after the young ones. If you can separate them for at least a few weeeks, especially so they can still see/hear each other, hopefully they will adjust to each other so that eventually you can combine them. Here is a link to an article abour feather picking. There are lots of threads here about it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/back-to-basic-living-feather-picking-plucking-and-cannibalism

Back
Top Bottom