Lice on chickens and I pregnant

Woodfamilyhens

In the Brooder
May 14, 2018
Venice Beach, CA
Need some safe suggestions for lice treatment of my chickens and yard. I’m 6 months pregnant and want to have some safe effective options as I can’t keep treating this over and over. Lucky me to have this going on. Anyone have any safe bath suggestions or anything like that. I have 5 chickens so I can give individual baths.

Permethrin spray concentrate, and permethrin dust, work very well. I'd have someone else doing the treatment if possible though.
Wearing long sleeves, gloves, and a N95 face mask, is safest for anyone treating the birds. It's easiest at night while they are roosting, with a flashlight or headlamp.
Also spray the coop, and dust the bedding. Lice are mostly on the birds, but still...
I found cheap disposable 'hazmat' suits at Home Depot, $10 each, which I've bought for pulling out my poison ivy overgrowth here this year. Consider something like that.
Mary

Hmm, I see your dilemma. The chemicals would definitely be bad for you. I know firsthand that the insect killer stuff can cause some neurological problems in unborn babies.

My vote is to get someone else to do it for you!!

Back
Top Bottom