LICE ON MY DUCKS!!!!,

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by duck4chickens, Aug 21, 2013.

1. duck4chickens

duck4chickens New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Michigan
    My ducks have lice :(, can my chickens get it? What should I do to prevent it from happening again? What is the best thing to get rid of the lice from both chickens and ducks? Please help!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I believe that chickens and ducks do get the same lice/mites as each other. There really is no way to completely prevent external parasites from infesting birds, as they can be found everywhere in the environment. However, the basic things to do are keep their living quarters clean, spray/dust the coop regularly with a good mite and lice dust/spray, and minimize crevices in the coop that external parasites can hide in.

As for getting rid of the lice on your birds, I would dust them with 5% or 10% Sevin dust. It can usually be purchased at a garden store. Dust it through their feathers, wait 7-10 days, and then dust again (this is to kill any lice that hatched from eggs--parasite eggs are affected by most mite/lice treatments).

3. duck4chickens

duck4chickens New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you. I have been worried about my birds. Thank you!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by