Lice?

MadieWestbrook

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2017
Texas
My silkie rooster has tiny white balls imbedded in his feathers around his neck. I figured automatically they were either mites or lice and bought some spray. I've been treating him with some spray that seems to be clove oil and soap. I've become worried as I have 12 chickens total. The hen closest to the silkie rooster now has the lice(?). Any tips on what to do?

Attachments

• IMG_4766.JPG
    IMG_4766.JPG
    344.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4771.PNG
    IMG_4771.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
It would be best to treat all chickens around the infested one. I use Seven Dust (even though it's not approved for poultry anymore), some prefer Permethrin, Poultry Dust, etc... all of these you can buy at Tractor Supply. I don't recommend DE. That's just me. Then you want to completely clean and treat your coop also. Redo in a week or 2 to kill any new eggs that hatch.

It's more than likely lice. Since there is an infestation and the product you are using now isn't doing the job, try a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray. These can be found in feed stores or online.

Clean out your bedding and treat the coop as well. Follow the manufactures directions, but usually you need to repeat treatment, plus clean out and re-treating the coop 7days after initial treatment to kill any that have hatched.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1151513/pesticides-approved-for-poultry

Yes those are nits (eggs) of lice. Not to worry they do not like to hang onto humans very long. They are poultry lice. I've had the best luck with Ivermectin Pour -on 5 drops for standard sized birds. 3 drops for bantams. one to two drops by the vent in the fluff (lice love that spot) 1 drop under each wing. and a drop at the base of the neck. They need all their bedding removed and the coop shop-vaccuumed out. Paint the roosts if they are not. (sometimes mites go with lice) Put some poultry dust in an old nylon sock. tie the end and powder the corners of the nest boxes. roosts. You will need to hold eggs(2 weeks after last treatment) with these two chemicals. 9 days later repeat as the nits will hatch with new lice. Watch to see if you need to do it again after another 9 days.

Okay so this is new experiment for me this spring. But I had an issue this late winter. And I had layers and non layers. After some researching on BYC on finding natural cures (so I didn't have to pitch 3 dozen eggs a week) I came up with NU-STock blended with Eucalyptus oil. I put drops of Ivermectin Pour on on the rooster and non-layers. I also put fresh pressed garlic clove in the water and garlic powder in the food. (like 2 TBSP in a 12 pound steel feeder) The coop smelled like a rough italian restaurant for two weeks. LOL. Upon rechecks I skeptically picked up the egg layers for their checks with the experiment natural froo-fa-la. They were clear at 9 days! Would apply a finger full of the compound every other day or so for a week or two on the skin between the fluff quills. Rechecked a couple more times over the next two weeks. NO LICE or MITES. I'm sold. Especially for my laying hens. It's a natural approach in which you don't have to pull the eggs and throw them out. For the others the IVERMECTIN is sooo easy. It's a bit spendy (like $40) but it lasts and still works so I've found it to be worth it. Impressed with the NU stock Eucalyptus too. (About $12 and $6 respectively) May try this with the garlic for the whole flock if it happens again.

I don't want to resort to using an insecticide with my hens since I wouldn't be able to eat their eggs (correct?).

They are slowly going away. The nits are few and far between. However, I'm still seeing full grown lice around his eyes, which I can't spray.

Any other recommendations?

Also, his feathers are very, very oily. How can I give him a bath that will help with the lice?

You could try the NU-Stock/Eucalyptus blend. Garlic in the water and feed.
Garlic and Nu-Stock are "Sulfur" treatments. A naturally occuring element. Eucalyptus is a natural insect repellent. Re applications are needed. Every other day. 2 -3 weeks minimum.

There are you-tube videos for bathing chickens in a 3 bucket system.

3 buckets of warm water:
#1 has a squirt of pet shampoo
#2 has a splash of White Vinegar
#3 has a squirt of glycerin

Dip(wash)-Dip-Dip. Watch the eyes and the airways.

Back
Top Bottom