Lice?

cluckcluckluke

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
The Foothills Of Chickendom
100% sure that what my hens have is lice, 200% sure it came for the wild pigeons that roamed my run feeding on mixed seed, which i now dont feed my hens due to this problem BUT 0% on treatment, weather i should even bother/need to treat the lice or that i need to do something, in this case WHAT? Ive only checked one hen which was quite truly riddled with them but i am assuming that all the other hens have them as well.

Lice and mites can kill birds so you want to treat. Most people use Sevin and it does work really well but it pretty toxic and bad for the environment. I would recommend reading about it before deciding whether or not to use it.

You can also use poultry dust or DE. DE is non toxic and a great product but it will likely take several treatments as it is not as strong. Good luck!

Last edited:
is it like flea powder for cats and dogs that you put over every hen and there roost or do you have to feed it to them, and do you have to put it over everything they touch. Also how do lice kill chickens?

The poultry dusts is a good treatment for lice and mites. I take an old nylon and pour the poultry dust into it and tie the top. It works like a chicken powder puff. You can dust the whole chicken with less waste of the poultry dust. I also use a mixture of DE, wood ash and sand, for them to dust themselves in. Good luck!

It is a powder you dust on them. Make sure you get it all over, even under their wings and around their vents. It's messy and it's better if you wear a mask. Also clean and dust your coop and nest material.

Sevin Dust is NOT toxic or bad for the environment. This is myth.

Sevin dust is a chemical called carbaryl. Carbaryl is a man-made neurotoxin - a TOXIC chemical that kills by effecting the nervous system. It is classified as a likely human carcinogen by the United States Environmental Protection Agency. It is very common in the US but is HIGHLY toxic to both pest and beneficial insects like honey bees. It is also devastating when leaked into water and kills crustaceans and aquatic invertebres like CRAZY. It is NOT approved for use on poultry or any other animal in the US and says so on its own product label.

http://www.epa.gov/EPA-PEST/2009/March/Day-18/p5695.htm

Yes it is extremely effective and exposure in small amounts is not going to kill you or your birds. A lot of the argument for using it is that is it commonly used, not considered by many to be toxic to poultry in very small amounts, and I am putting on birds not on bees or into the ocean so whats the big deal. But, it is nasty stuff that we are putting into our environment - onto our skin and into our lungs and out into the air and soil. After reading more about it I have stopped using it for home use. Why use something with potentially negative effects when there are less impactful alternatives? I may have to work a little harder - so be it.

Can you provide me with the science that explains how this is "myth" ? I would be interested in reading that.

Last edited:
Lice will truly make them miserable and not able to rest as the bugs will crawl over them constantly. The bugs should be killed for sure.

They sell poultry (permethrin) dust at the feed stores (and permethrin spray). I have only worked with mites, not lice, but the package says for mites and lice.

Last edited:
ok, so i live in Australia and my local feed store had non of that stuff(bit disappointed) and ive realized i need it quite urgently so no time for delivery from somewhere else so this is what i got.

Active ingredient- Sulfur and Rotenone, so these are much nicer on the environment than the other sprays and powders(will take a few more hits of this stuff because its not as strong, but there's more.

Notice the "withholding periods"- EGGS:NIL so we wont have to throw any out/away.

For control of, lice,mites and fleas on dogs, cats, fowls, calves horses and goates. got it for $17.75

Directions for use-
*Fowls: LICE(Mallophaga spp.) and MITES(Dermanyssus spp.): sprinkle through the feathers , under the wings and around the neck, breast and vent at weekly intervals. Apply liberally to nests and nesting areas.

Ah. Sorry I didnt realize you were in Australia. Sevin may likely be illegal there so it is a moot point. What you have is great. Dust them really well all over all the way to their skin. Avoid the face and eyes. The dust will only kill the live buy not the eggs so repeat every 7-10 days. I would do it 3 times to be safe. Also clean out the coop. Good luck!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom