1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. TarMac

TarMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Okay so I noticed that my polish pullets have lice in there beards and muffs. I've read that 5% Sevin dust is the best way to go as far as treating lice. Is this safe to use on their beard, muffs, and crest with it being so close to their eyes and mouth?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just hand dust them as best as you can trying to keep it out of their eyes. It is very good for treatment of both lice and mites. Be sure to repeat treatment in 10 days for lice eggs, and the litter in the coop and nest boxes need to be cleaned out and disposed of or burned. Sometimes it is hard to tell which you are dealing with--lice or mites, and here is a link with pictures: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

3. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Have you already treated with Sevin dust? I'd recommend food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) over Sevin dust. Getting rid of lice is easy. Just add the DE to the place where your chickens like to dust bathe. A little goes a long way. Mix it in a little. Your chickens will dust bathe and take care of the lice themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by