"Life with AD/HD" thread

nikki1

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
Eatonville, WA
Okay, guys, I've had absolutely NO luck starting a lasting thread, but I thought I'd give it a try. Is anyone else out there living with AD/HD, either yourself or a loved one? I'd love to have a place to talk about the ups and downs of life out of focus!

My 9 year old son is pretty severely affected, and even with meds every day is an adventure! He lives life full-throttle, and while I love the excitement, sometimes it's exhausting. My boy has said "AD/HD is fun!"

So...who's in the boat with me?

--Nikki

Many people with ADHD have experienced improvement in symptoms after identifying and eliminating "trigger" foods. "Triggers" can be different for everybody and even "healthy" foods can be triggers. If anyone's interested in learning more, I have some info about food sensitivities on my website (I'm a Registered Dietitian specializing in food sensitivities) - https://www.getwellified.com/. I know it's tough dealing with a condition like this, especially in kids, but there are other options out there that might help.

Hello everyone. I have a 7 year old daughter who was recently diagnosed with AD/HD I get so much crap from myother about having tried medication with her. My mother makes me feel like a bad mom. But that's beside the point. I've done research on it and believe medication is a good thing. Supposedly they don't try to self medicate later in life.
She was on strattera during that last two months of school but it brought her so far down on her energy level in the evening that she would fall asleep at about 6 pm. She is really behind in school, but once we started it she began to make leaps and bounds. She will be repeating the 1st grade next year. I'm okay with this because she is one of the youngest ones in her class and she is tiny.
Right now I don't have her on medicaton. I was wondering what others have tried? anyways this is her. My beautiful little bug with her cake last week. Her name is Elida but we call her Eli (Ellie).

You're right, the research shows that AD/HD kids that receive medication are less likely to engage in all kinds of risky behaviors, including drug use. They do better in school, and they choose friends and activities more wisely. (Dr. Thomas Brown as a reference. Has some great literature out there.)

Lots of people have lots of opinions about medication, AD/HD, and parenting in general, but always remember YOU are Mom. My mother gave me a fair amount of crap for medicating, too, but it has done my son a world of good, both academically and socially. Do what you and your pediatrician decide is best, and build a thick skin.

Incidentally, before I started my boy on meds, I asked our school psych about meds. He said that the research on stimulant meds is VERY thorough and decisive that when used correctly it is quite safe and effective. He also said that there is only minimal research on non-stimulant meds (like Strattera). His conclusion was that few people keep their kids on non-stimulant meds for long...they either give up on meds as ineffective, or switch over to stimulant meds. My boy is on Concerta, (a stimulant) and it works quite well for him. I'd be a little careful about no-doz...I took it once myself on a road trip, and got scary-twitchy--light-headed and wobbly. It was just too much all at once. On the other hand, I find that a little diet pepsi when his meds are wearing off is kind of helpful.

I'm pretty sure I just came across as tactless and opinionated, but hopefully it was helpful.

Hi,
My son, who just turned 10 yesterday, also has ADHD. He is exuberant about life and is always in high gear. We chose not to medicate up until a few months ago, as it was really affecting his schooling and peer relationships. He is reponding very well to the medication. He likes being able to focus at school better, and is now less "in kids faces" about things. Home life has also improved greatly as he has an older sibling that also has ADHD and they were in constant conflict. He is very affectionate and outgoing and loves sports.
When my older daughter was in first grade her teacher told us she had the worst case of ADHD she had seen in her 30 years of teaching and asked us to get her tested. She was diagnosed but we didn't medicate at the time. We chose not to medicate her as she is doing well in school and seems to have friends. She is 12 years old. She is very good with her youngest sibling and loves babies and will make a great babysitter soon. She is very caring and a good organizer and list maker and loves to plan things.
I have a son who is between them in age who is extremely active and has a hard time holding still. We've worked with him to sit at the table and he still prefers to stand. He is helpful and the first one to literally jump up when we need anything. He has lightening speed reflexes. He is a good boy and makes good choices. He helps the kids who need friends at school. We got him an indoor trampoline so he could just jump and get energy out when weather doesn't permit. He is 11 years old.
Our home is high energy to say the least. My 3 oldest( I have a 7 and 3 year old) love reading books and this has gives us some quiet times which I cherish. My kids have taught me a lot, and I am so grateful to have them.
What medication is your son on? Mine is on Guanafacine aka Tenex.
I am interested to hear other peoples' storys, advice, helpful hints, etc.

My oldest son has ADHD...I ignored the diagnosis he received when he was 4...But he got held back in first grade because he is a\ child and the teacher was stupid...He would tell her he couldn't read that it was too hard...and she would coddle him and not make him do his work...so the school thought he couldn't read...totally different story at home. He would claim to not be able to read at home, but then he would read things that he needed to read...
Anyway I argued that he shouldn't held back but that they needed teachers trained to deal with children..So they had him tested and it came back that he was 2 years ahead, but they held him back anyway...
The school pushed us into getting him on meds, and we did it...because they really leave you no option...but he went from failing and getting held back to being awesome and making As.
So I'm actually glad we got him on the meds. He was always in trouble before and it made him sad. Now he gets in trouble every once in awhile for things he can control and he is much happier. The thing that I have to try to remember is that he isn't meaning to not listen it is just that his body will do what it wants to do regardless of what he or I or Jesus might want it to do...
He is such a good boy now. Helpful and kind. Almost never sullen...
But just last week he left the top off his pills and his last few got knocked behind the stove...I thought we might all go crazy before the doc could send a new script..without the meds he is upset and fights with his brother and sister non stop...He can't focus enough to do anything really.

My oldest is on Concerta...We started with Vyvanse, but one pill only lasts for so long..just like with anything that you take long term...
So every year or so we switch from one to the other...one to the other. I wish somebody would have taken me in when I was little and gotten me some help. I had such a hard time in school paying attention and doing my work. But I always tested above and beyond...so I would get placed in the Accelerated classes and then I would be unable to complete work or pay attention...I was in trouble all the time and it made me really sullen and depressed. I feel like my relationships with everyone could have been much better had my Grandparents just known I wasn't being annoying on purpose...I just couldn't help it...
He is not at all hampered by his disorder as long as he has his meds. Such a good smart boy.
I think my youngest son will need a little help as well. He's 4 now...and I just see a lot of the same issues and tendencies with him that I saw with the oldest...
oddly enough my daughter who is in the middle has none of the issues. No problems at all.

Last edited:
Missnu- Your story about your son sounds very much like mine! I could have written the same thing minus the ages. He does so much better now on the medication and is much happier with himself for being able to behave. Originally I was worried about the medication effecting his personality or making him sluggish, which it has not. I wish I would have given it to him sooner.
It worked so well with him, that we tried it on his older sister, but it didn't work. Her symptoms seem less pronounced now than they did a few years ago. I'm not sure if we should try a different med or just see if she grows out of it.

Last edited:
Missnu- Your story about your son sounds very much like mine! I could have written the same thing minus the ages. He does so much better now on the medication and is much happier with himself for being able to behave. Originally I was worried about the medication effecting his personality or making him sluggish, which it has not. I wish I would have given it to him sooner.
It worked so well with him, that we tried it on his older sister, but it didn't work. Her symptoms seem less pronounced now than they did a few years ago. I'm not sure if we should try a different med or just see if she grows out of it.

My boy was diagnosed in kindergarten, and we started him on meds at that time. Frankly, he was randomly spinning in the center of his classroom, and both his teacher and myself felt like putting velcro on the seat of his pants. Furthermore, he couldn't get along with really anyone, as his impulsivity got in the way of all his relationships. He has taken Concerta ever since, and it's still working fine for him.

He had a DEVIL of a day yesterday. Won't even go into the details, as I'm sure you can imagine. Poor little guy woke up this morning with a fever and a stuffy nose and a headache. Felt pretty bad for all his consequences for yesterday, and was glad I'd really kept my voice and my responses quiet and soft. (really WANTED to holler, but knew it would backfire!)

Anyway, nice to hear from everyone.

--Nikki

Last edited:

Here's my boy, very happy with our new dog, Maddie. Maddie is a cardigan Welsh corgi--a herding breed--who feels a great responsibility to both her flock of chickens and her flock of humans.

My poor boy is very feverish and achey today. His advil is kicked in, so now he's quietly playing Hot Wheels in his room. (the word "quietly" says a lot for how he feels!) Between doses, he's very miserable and stays curled up in his comforter. His daddy stayed home with him today.
hit.gif

Have it here! Oldest has ADHD AND Epilepsy!
th.gif
She is non-medicated now, was taking Adderall XR. She is not affected too badly, I swear it comes and goes in waves. She recognizes when she is having her 'moments' and is doing a pretty good job of keeping her life on track; not perfectly but these things take time. She would rather medicate herself with caffeine instead of medication. She will be a Senior next year, and just got her drivers license last month. The immaturity is almost gone too.

There is a great book out there that I would suggest anyone dealing with ADHD read, I believe it is called Living with ADHD. It was written by kids who are affected with it, and it gives you a great perspective of how they function. ( I am a very scientific, orderly person so trying to understand the thought processes of my daughter was difficult).

thumbsup.gif
It does get better!

My oldest has ADHD, ODD, and bipolar. Lets just say she is a handful. She is 10 and also has gastro issues. Wrap it up all together and she will keep you drained 24/7. She was on focalin for awhile but it only worked if I only gave it to her every couple of days due to her gastro issues. Drs. Don't want to up the doses or change the med because it works (even if it only works for a couple of days). So right now she is unmediated. Except for her clonidine that she uses for sleep. If she doesn't get that you would think someone tried to kill her puppy. We experimented one weekend to see how long she could stay up without her meds. 3 days straight before she finally passed out. That whole time she never acted tired. That was what actually got her the sleeping meds in the first place. I'm the same way. I have to take Advil pm or Benadryl before I will fall asleep before 4am, I wake up at 7 every morning.

Back
Top Bottom