Light Brahma Cochin chick ha hard masses

The belly, meaning the crop? Is the hard mass located slightly to the right side of the chest wall? What is the behavior of the chick? Active or lethargic - standing around in one spot with eyes closed? Is it eating and pooping? Is it peeping non-stop in distress?

The belly, meaning the crop? Is the hard mass located slightly to the right side of the chest wall? What is the behavior of the chick? Active or lethargic - standing around in one spot with eyes closed? Is it eating and pooping? Is it peeping non-stop in distress?

Belly, not the crop. Eating drinking just fine. I have seen it poop a few times, but obviously it's not pooping enough. It's on chick starter and has access to grit with calcium. Could that be the problem? I made a thread earlier about it chirping loudly, now I know why.

Grit with calcium isn't advisable for chickens that are not laying. But the calcium causes long term issues that would not be connected to the chick's present issue.

It is possible your chick is backed up in its intestines or gizzard. Give it about half teaspoon of coconut oil in its solid form. Mineral oil or olive oil will also work but take care not to get into the airway.

Grit with calcium isn't advisable for chickens that are not laying. But the calcium causes long term issues that would not be connected to the chick's present issue.

It is possible your chick is backed up in its intestines or gizzard. Give it about half teaspoon of coconut oil in its solid form. Mineral oil or olive oil will also work but take care not to get into the airway.
thank your so much for that. I'm sorry for the late response. How many times a day should I do this?

You may only need to do it once. Usually, constipated chicks will pass the obstruction in a few hours to twelve hours. Once that happens, the chicks return to happiness and health.

You may only need to do it once. Usually, constipated chicks will pass the obstruction in a few hours to twelve hours. Once that happens, the chicks return to happiness and health.
she is such a tiny little thing that an entire tablespoon at once is too hard for her. so I have been giving her drops of it regularly with a syringe. so thank you very much for all your help. I have done this process with my adult hens, but wasn't sure this could be done safely with a chick.

A half teaspoon that I recommended really is no where near a full tablespoon. If you managed to get half teaspoon of oil down the chick's beak, that should be enough.

A half teaspoon that I recommended really is no where near a full tablespoon. If you managed to get half teaspoon of oil down the chick's beak, that should be enough.
oh gosh, you are right. I have gotten a total of six drops down her, I don't know why my brain defaulted to a tablespoon! brain typo! thanks for catching me on that.

Back
Top Bottom