Light Brahma or some sort of laced Cochin??

mysterychick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
I think this is likely just a bad version of a light brahma but wanted to get some opinions. We ordered day old chicks from an online hatchery. She is 6 weeks old today. In our order we had one light brahma and one mystery chick, and the mystery chick we received also had feathered feet and looked very similar to the light brahma but a little different, and sadly she died before we had even had her a day. So I don't know if this is the light brahma or the mystery chick, and possibly they were both light Brahmas. We also ordered a buff Brahma and she looks exactly like the buff Brahma breed standard and is huuuuuge - a lot bigger than this little one who is about the same size as the rest of our flock.

She is the sweetest bird in our flock though - loves to be picked up and when we do she closes her eyes and snuggles. It is really nice, and I don't care if she is a bad example of a light brahma because she still looks beautiful to me and is my favorite chick of the bunch. It was hard to take pictures of her because she follows is everywhere we go and wanted to get close to me.

The only other feather footed bird I can find that the company sells that is remotely similar to what she looks like is a silver laced Cochin, but I think her lacing is the opposite of what that would be. So can anyone tell me?? Will her feathers continue to change and will she end up having a solid white body like light Brahmas are to have??

The camera distorted her body shape in this pic. She is thick and fluffy like the other photos show.

Trying to show her comb.

Just had to share this snap as this crew looks so eccentric it made me laugh! The silky is close to the camera and she is in fact a lot smaller than the other two.

Her comb is very small compared to my buff Brahma's and seems to just be one straight line or maybe there are some bumps developing at the very top of it.

She's a light brahma - you can tell by the pea comb. A cochin would have a straight comb.

She's a light brahma - you can tell by the pea comb. A cochin would have a straight comb.

Thank you! Why on earth is she so dark then, and is this typical at this age still? Every picture I could find online of juvenile light brahmas were a lot whiter than her. I appreciate your reply!

Probably just that she's a hatchery bird and hatchery birds aren't very good quality unfortunately. She might lighten up as she grows!

Probably just that she's a hatchery bird and hatchery birds aren't very good quality unfortunately. She might lighten up as she grows!
OK, well thanks again for the reply. I really wanted to know what she was because I am so in love with her and I have heard cochins are super friendly too (have also heard this about light brahmas). She is such a lovely chick - no matter whether or not she quite ends up actually getting the right coloring.
Thanks!

Agree, hatchery quality light Brahma. She'll likely always be darker than is "correct", but that's always a thing with hatchery birds.

If her comb is that much smaller than your buffs, you might want to post pics of that buff
hide.gif

Thank you!  Why on earth is she so dark then, and is this typical at this age still?  Every picture I could find online of juvenile light brahmas were a lot whiter than her.  I appreciate your reply!

I have light brahmas and they do start out quite dark, but as they get older they will get lighter, even hatchery breeds. :D

Agree, hatchery quality light Brahma. She'll likely always be darker than is "correct", but that's always a thing with hatchery birds.

If her comb is that much smaller than your buffs, you might want to post pics of that buff
hide.gif
Haha - thanks! You know, I have had questions about the potential roo-ness of many of our group, but think the only one who may be a roo is the naked neck in one of these photos. I am really confident the buff brahma is a girl. Thanks for the offer though!!!

Back
Top Bottom