I don't have any experience with a light brahma rooster, only a cockerel. My light brahma cockerel is 6 months old. He hates my kids. My kids are rarely in the chicken area, but when they are....he will act aggressively. I have only ever heard good things about brahma roosters though, temperament wise.
I don't let my 5 year old near the cockerels anymore, just to be safe. So she doesn't really get to interact with the flock because of that. If you want your kids to have the freedom to squat down and feed and pet the chickens, I would caution against adding a cockerel. Maybe find an adult friendly rooster?

Roosters are a crap shoot. Some are fabulous, some are nightmares. I always say don't have roosters if your children are under 6, or if they share a play area with chickens. And be aware roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of kids.

Your kids are just a bit older than that.

The rooster will change the dynamics of a the flock, now the hens look to you for treats, after adding a rooster, they tend to look to him, and you will often notice that very casually if he is a good rooster, when you enter the coop, pretty soon he will be between you and the hens.

If you want a rooster, I would post at the feed store. What you want (IMO) is a rooster that has grown up in a flock under older birds. You want a rooster where the owners have no problem dispatching a mean or aggressive roosters. And they have this extra rooster because he was so nice, a spare. The breed is really not that much of an issue. If one breed made for sure nice roosters, that is the breed that would be being raised.

Good luck, I would only advise getting a rooster if you and your family could dispatch a rooster that was not working out.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom