Pandang81

Songster
Sep 5, 2021
South Texas
Hi all,
Does anyone have experience with Light Brahma roosters and kids that they can share? I’d like to know how well they can get along with kids if they are raised with them. I have heard Brahma roosters tend to be gentle and people friendly but I‘m wondering how often they are well behaved with kids or if that is just too much to ask for with any rooster.

Idk much about brahmas, but my roo kind of ignores his offspring. I have one and they were seperated for 8 months, and then I adopted him and the mother. He was a little wonky at first but they’re fantastic now🙂 like father like daughter

Idk much about brahmas, but my roo kind of ignores his offspring.
Pretty sure OP means human kids. ;)

No experience with Brahmas or roosters, but every bird is an individual, so even if folks have stories about how great their roo is (or conversely, how awful) you won't really know what yours will be like until he grows up.

I have two light Brahma roosters. Monster and Jr. Monster looks like a beast but is the sweetest biggest baby around. He lets a bantam silkie be higher in the pecking order than him.

My kids are 9 and we hatched out Monster when they were 8. They handled him and have been involved in his care. He has foot problems so he gets handled a lot. He actually loves to be cuddled. He doesn’t like being caught but once we have him he snuggles in. Has never been aggressive towards the hens, chicks, or any person. Jr has the same disposition as his father. Just a sweet guy. He’s a little more rough with the ladies but he’s not as old as Monster is.

I have a friend who brings over his 3 year old daughter. She is scared of the bantam silkie more than Monster. And Monster is almost as tall as she is. I don’t allow her to be alone with my chickens. She’s too rough with them and I don’t trust any of the roosters. Even the Brahmas. If she were to grab a hen wrong Monster is going to do what his instincts say to do. Attack what is hurting his ladies. He has never done this but it’s always a possibility.

How old are your kids? Supervision around roosters with really young kids is always recommended. Even with the gentle giants.

Monster
05E81BBD-F1DD-4AFA-8461-450AA0762ED4.jpeg

Jr with Monsters ladies
6580009B-1B74-4DF6-8347-DD6F0C64E7DB.jpeg

I have two light Brahma roosters. Monster and Jr. Monster looks like a beast but is the sweetest biggest baby around. He lets a bantam silkie be higher in the pecking order than him.

My kids are 9 and we hatched out Monster when they were 8. They handled him and have been involved in his care. He has foot problems so he gets handled a lot. He actually loves to be cuddled. He doesn’t like being caught but once we have him he snuggles in. Has never been aggressive towards the hens, chicks, or any person. Jr has the same disposition as his father. Just a sweet guy. He’s a little more rough with the ladies but he’s not as old as Monster is.

I have a friend who brings over his 3 year old daughter. She is scared of the bantam silkie more than Monster. And Monster is almost as tall as she is. I don’t allow her to be alone with my chickens. She’s too rough with them and I don’t trust any of the roosters. Even the Brahmas. If she were to grab a hen wrong Monster is going to do what his instincts say to do. Attack what is hurting his ladies. He has never done this but it’s always a possibility.

How old are your kids? Supervision around roosters with really young kids is always recommended. Even with the gentle giants.

Monster
View attachment 2973022

Jr with Monsters ladies
View attachment 2973023
Thanks for the info! My kids are 8 year old & twins who just turned 7. We have a really good relationship with our chickens & my kids are in the coop every day collecting eggs, giving treats &/or letting them out to free range. So I don’t want to screw up that dynamic but my kids want a rooster & I’ve been toying with the idea since it’d be nice to have fertilized eggs if we ever want to hatch them & we do have foxes, raccoons & hawks among other things that come around & one of my chickens was taken in broad daylight a few months back without a trace. I am toying with a light Brahma or a Salmon Faverolle since I’ve heard both are typically nice. I just want to be sure about temperament with my kids, don’t want to ruin the current dynamic we have. If we did get one we’d raise from 1 day old & I wouldn’t keep if it turned out in the least bit rude or aggressive. Is it difficult to rehome light Brahma roosters? When breeding crosses are they more difficult to sell than a purebred chicken?

Where I live it’s difficult to rehome any rooster. But light Brahmas here are a little more rare so they’re easier to rehome. If you lived near me I’d give you some of Monsters fertilized eggs. Or hatch out chicks for you. His offspring have always been nothing but sweet. I have a farmer who I give my roosters to and he says every rooster I give him is a sweetheart. Most of them are Mosters offspring.
The mixed light Brahmas might be harder to sell/ give away but it really depends on where you live. Although not a lot of people are looking for barnyard mixes unless that mix has something special about it.

Where I live it’s difficult to rehome any rooster. But light Brahmas here are a little more rare so they’re easier to rehome. If you lived near me I’d give you some of Monsters fertilized eggs. Or hatch out chicks for you. His offspring have always been nothing but sweet. I have a farmer who I give my roosters to and he says every rooster I give him is a sweetheart. Most of them are Mosters offspring.
The mixed light Brahmas might be harder to sell/ give away but it really depends on where you live. Although not a lot of people are looking for barnyard mixes unless that mix has something special about it.
Thanks! Yes too bad, sounds like your monster has a great temperament!

What breeds of hens do you have? Brahmas can get really big, too much if you have lightweight hens. My roosters (Brahmas and Cochin) get along pretty well and they aren't aggressive to people or my other animals. As it has been said, a lot depends on the single bird, too. For the rehoming it all depends on where you live, but mainly if you give them away for free and if you allow butchering him. I wouldn't give to another person an aggressive rooster, though. I also breed for temperament and I avoid all the aggressive ones.

I would encourage you to buy a young cockrel from a breeder. Most brahma breeders will only hatch from parents with good personalities. With hatchery cockrels, your chances of getting a "good boy" will be greatly reduced.
Of course, there are no guarantees. My rooster is very gentle, and to date, all of his offsprings have been also. Two of mine are extra large. They don't always love each other, but they co-exist without injury. They are not aggressive to children or adults. I'd never leave children unsupervised though, for the child and the animals sake.

You might consider getting eggs from a breeder and hatching your own. I imagine your kids would love that. Some people say that you should raise roosters with a hands off approach. I think it all comes back to temperament, and if I have to raise a rooster to be fearful of me, then he isn't a rooster I'd want. I want to be able to give my roosters the same affection and care that I give to my hens. So far that has worked out great for me.
I was concerned, initially with the difference in size and considered keeping smaller roosters. My main rooster is 12lbs and he ignores the smaller girls.
Here is a picture of Goliath (8 months) with his sister, Cookie.
20211229_082825.jpg

Unlike his father, Goliath likes the smaller girls. He does well with all the hens. His favorites are naked necks and a little bantam sized legbar. He is very gentle with her.

Sorry for writing a novel!

Thanks for the info! My kids are 8 year old & twins who just turned 7. We have a really good relationship with our chickens & my kids are in the coop every day collecting eggs, giving treats &/or letting them out to free range. So I don’t want to screw up that dynamic but my kids want a rooster & I’ve been toying with the idea since it’d be nice to have fertilized eggs if we ever want to hatch them & we do have foxes, raccoons & hawks among other things that come around & one of my chickens was taken in broad daylight a few months back without a trace. I am toying with a light Brahma or a Salmon Faverolle since I’ve heard both are typically nice. I just want to be sure about temperament with my kids, don’t want to ruin the current dynamic we have. If we did get one we’d raise from 1 day old & I wouldn’t keep if it turned out in the least bit rude or aggressive. Is it difficult to rehome light Brahma roosters? When breeding crosses are they more difficult to sell than a purebred chicken?

Why do the kids want a rooster? For hatching chicks? For flock protection? For a Pet? Personally, I think you would be changing the dynamics of the flock, which will potentially impact their relationship with the kids.

Back
Top Bottom