Light Brahmas, 4 months Pullet or Cockerel? +Updated Pictures on Page 4+

17 weeks is REALLY close to laying age, so the color and size of her wattles/comb isn't bothering me at all. I still hold that she's a pullet, and near POL.
smile.png
I completely agree - Georgiana looks like many of my light brahma hens who are laying. I'll try to get a pic of my light brahma roo posted so you can see how different their combs and wattles look than a hen's - and so you can see the long and pointy hackle and saddle feathers and the swooshy taill feathers. I think you have two hens.

My Brahma did not lay until 28 weeks of age. They are very slow to mature. I don't know if there are some that are early layers.
However, saddle feathers would of popped up by now I would guess. Maybe you have a pullet after all. They're both beautiful!

I totally agree! I've gotten nice Brahmas from people that show, and I have some from hatcheries. I don't think I've ever had one lay before 6 months. I've heard some people have them lay around 22-weeks, but I've never been so lucky. I have two 22-week old Brahma pullets, and neither has started to redden up yet.

Shots showing close-ups of hackles would be helpful.

Also, if a she, and close to POL she might squat for you--see if you can get her to do it, that would erase most doubt.

As promised, pics of my light brahma roo - with hens included for comparison:

First notice the dramatically longer and curved tail - you can also sort of see his saddle feathers here too - much different than the hens' fluffy butts

In this one you can sort of see his larger comb and wattles as well as the more dramatic tail, the saddle feathers and the hackle feather around his neck - much more pointed and darker/glossier/more greenish black than the hens

And finally, a better pic of his comb and wattles - while the girls have varying degrees of comb and wattles, none of them come close to this

And one more of just some hens for comparison

Hope these pics help convince you your two are pullets.

Here is Ester, She is the one who has been red faced for a few weeks now. She has a pea comb. Both these pullets are Easter Eggers.

Here is her hatchmate, Milly, at the same age (19 weeks) She has a pea comb, too, but it is still very undeveloped.

Here is where and how I looked to see that my last chick was a rooster. Part it's back feathers on his back near the tail and see if pointy irridesent feathers are growing in.

Hmm. Well, that makes me feel a little better.

I will have to check her saddle feathers again, but I really didn't see anything when I looked at her earlier today.

Thanks! :)

17 weeks is REALLY close to laying age, so the color and size of her wattles/comb isn't bothering me at all. I still hold that she's a pullet, and near POL.
smile.png

I never thought of that being close to laying age since Brahmas are so slow to mature. I guess that could still be a possibility, though. I sure hope that is the case!
Thank you for the reassurance!

My Brahma did not lay until 28 weeks of age. They are very slow to mature. I don't know if there are some that are early layers.
However, saddle feathers would of popped up by now I would guess. Maybe you have a pullet after all. They're both beautiful!
Thank you! :)

I wonder if the laying age would be younger for hatchery Brahmas. Ours are from a hatchery, so perhaps they could be a little faster to mature than show quality Brahmas. Keeping my fingers crossed!
fl.gif

Thanks for replying!

Last edited:
I completely agree - Georgiana looks like many of my light brahma hens who are laying. I'll try to get a pic of my light brahma roo posted so you can see how different their combs and wattles look than a hen's - and so you can see the long and pointy hackle and saddle feathers and the swooshy taill feathers. I think you have two hens.

Thank you, that is nice to hear! I'll go for two hens!

I totally agree! I've gotten nice Brahmas from people that show, and I have some from hatcheries. I don't think I've ever had one lay before 6 months. I've heard some people have them lay around 22-weeks, but I've never been so lucky. I have two 22-week old Brahma pullets, and neither has started to redden up yet.

Shots showing close-ups of hackles would be helpful.

Also, if a she, and close to POL she might squat for you--see if you can get her to do it, that would erase most doubt.

I haven't seen her squat, but I think I've seen my other LB do that. It's either that, or she is practicing nesting. But Georgie hasn't done any of those things so far.

So, does that mean she is a he?

That's a good idea, I think I'll try to take some pictures of her saddle and hackles tomorrow.

Thanks! :)

As promised, pics of my light brahma roo - with hens included for comparison:

First notice the dramatically longer and curved tail - you can also sort of see his saddle feathers here too - much different than the hens' fluffy butts

In this one you can sort of see his larger comb and wattles as well as the more dramatic tail, the saddle feathers and the hackle feather around his neck - much more pointed and darker/glossier/more greenish black than the hens

And finally, a better pic of his comb and wattles - while the girls have varying degrees of comb and wattles, none of them come close to this

And one more of just some hens for comparison

Hope these pics help convince you your two are pullets.

These are very helpful, thank you for posting them!

I noticed your hens have combs, but they don't seem to have much for wattles. Is it just the picture, or do most Brahma hens have very small wattles?

Those tail feathers are quite a contrast from the hens'. Both of my LBs have those fluffy Brahma butts.
gig.gif

Last edited:
My brahmas are hatchery stock as well. The hens combs and wattles vary in size - quite a bit really. Before I got the roo, one of my hens took over the role of flock protector and her comb and wattles seemed bigger and redder than all the other hens - but she still laid eggs. And her comb and wattles never got as big as the roo's are. I have one hen who has almost no comb or wattles as well - everyone else is somewhere inbetween.

My brahmas are hatchery stock as well. The hens combs and wattles vary in size - quite a bit really. Before I got the roo, one of my hens took over the role of flock protector and her comb and wattles seemed bigger and redder than all the other hens - but she still laid eggs. And her comb and wattles never got as big as the roo's are. I have one hen who has almost no comb or wattles as well - everyone else is somewhere inbetween.

I'm hoping that my Georgina is like your hen! Was she flightier than your other hens? Ours are quite different in temperament.

One thing I notice about her is that when the girls are outside and it get dark, the other LB will try to hide under Georgina. It is quite a sight, as she is significantly bigger than Georgie.

Thank you! :)

The head hen in my flock is more prone to rooster-like actions, though less so since we got our roo. She would always stand up straighter and watch for threats before the roo and she was the one who gathered up the rest of the hens at bedtime and made sure they went to the coop. Now the roo handles all of that. When the roo was introduced to the hens, the head hen did a bunch of chest bumping with the roo and tried to run him off. He is just so much larger that she did not stand a chance - but it didn't stop her from trying. As for the tempraments of the other hens, they vary - they have a definite pecking order as you would expect with any flock and some are quieter and calmer than others. Their sizes also vary quite a bit though size and attitude do not seem to be directly related.

Back
Top Bottom