1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light Brahmas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Greywolf1962, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Greywolf1962

Greywolf1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Huntsville, Tx.
    [​IMG]

This is my rooster, not sure how old he is, they didn't tell me when I got him.
    What I'd like to know is at about what age do the roosters start crowing? Thanks in advance.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It really varies from bird to bird. Do you have ay other roosters in your flock? (that can sometimes delay crowing as a subordinate can refrain to avoid challenging the dominant rooster). How long have you had him and was he a mature, feathered bird when you got him or a semi-feathered chick? Knowing that can help give you a guess as to age. A picture of him in a natural standing position may also help give us a better idea of his over all size and maturity.

3. Greywolf1962

Sep 7, 2014
    Huntsville, Tx.
    No other rooster. I've had him for almost 4 weeks and yes he was fully feathered when I hot him. I'll try to get a better pic of him with some of my 9 week olds. Thanks for your help.

4. Greywolf1962

Sep 7, 2014
    Huntsville, Tx.
    [​IMG]
    OK got a better pic of him now. The buff is almost 15 weeks old now if that helps at all.

5. Greywolf1962

Sep 7, 2014
    Huntsville, Tx.
    He has started crowing about two weeks ago and has gotten very aggressive since then.

6. andreanar

andreanar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My BO cockeral started crowing around 14 weeks or so. The subordinate cockeral didn't crow till almost 6 weeks later. It can be anytime.

7. Mgallegosfarm

Mgallegosfarm New Egg

May 5, 2014
    What is the temperament of the roosters of light Brahmas? I'm trying to decide on a rooster. Thank you

8. feather13

feather13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2012
    southern california
    I'm also interested in the temperment of light brahma roosters. We have one that is five months old. He's always been very skittish and nervous, but not aggressive. He's in a coop and run with eleven hens and a silkie rooster. So far, so good. He's tried to mate with a barred rock and a RIR, but wasn't mean about it. I have to keep the chickens in an enclosed coop and run due to predators, so they don't have the entire yard to run around in. Do you think it's going to work out with two roosters so close together? The silkie rooster is also, so far, quite docile and doesn't mind being around the gigantic brahma rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by