Light bulb in coup for winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fiatmom, Oct 1, 2011.

1. fiatmom

fiatmom New Egg

Sep 6, 2011
    What size and type of light bulb should I put in the coup to stimulate egg production during the winter?
    Also is it good to let them out when it gets cold and snows?

2. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I plan on using at least a 60 watt bulb. I think you only need enough light for them to be awake and active. I think I will let them out to explore in the snow this winter, on the sunny warm days. I'll shovel them a trail to play in. What do you other BYC'ers think?

BTW... [​IMG] These folks are great for advice!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  3. Kramspott

Kramspott Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    I use the original red heat lamp [with clamp] that I used when raising them with a daily timer plugged into the extension cord.

Here in Missouri last year we got snow a good six times and it was 2-5 inches each time.

I also put a thermometer in the coop [4X6X5] and it kept the coop a cozy 55-60 degrees when it got to 0 degrees F with windchills below that.

I like the heat lamps red glow as it keeps them calm at night. We noticed our chickens could not rest as well and were more agitated with a 'white' light.

Crazy thing too. When we pampered them this past winter like this we had 18 of our hens laying 12-7 eggs a day. It was awesome!

Much more fun than the 1-4 eggs we were getting from the same bunch this summer when it was 100+ for 45 straight days...

I'd suggest a red-heat lamp light in a clamp-style light fixing over anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by