Light bulb in coup for winter

fiatmom

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
What size and type of light bulb should I put in the coup to stimulate egg production during the winter?
Also is it good to let them out when it gets cold and snows?

I plan on using at least a 60 watt bulb. I think you only need enough light for them to be awake and active. I think I will let them out to explore in the snow this winter, on the sunny warm days. I'll shovel them a trail to play in. What do you other BYC'ers think?

BTW...
welcome-byc.gif
These folks are great for advice!

Last edited:
I use the original red heat lamp [with clamp] that I used when raising them with a daily timer plugged into the extension cord.

Here in Missouri last year we got snow a good six times and it was 2-5 inches each time.

I also put a thermometer in the coop [4X6X5] and it kept the coop a cozy 55-60 degrees when it got to 0 degrees F with windchills below that.

I like the heat lamps red glow as it keeps them calm at night. We noticed our chickens could not rest as well and were more agitated with a 'white' light.

Crazy thing too. When we pampered them this past winter like this we had 18 of our hens laying 12-7 eggs a day. It was awesome!

Much more fun than the 1-4 eggs we were getting from the same bunch this summer when it was 100+ for 45 straight days...

I'd suggest a red-heat lamp light in a clamp-style light fixing over anything.

Back
Top Bottom