1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light In Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by capebird, Jun 21, 2011.

1. capebird

capebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Do you leave a light on in the coop all night long.... or maybe for the first
    hour after the hens enter the coop for bedtime?
    Thanks

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    In winter it is off from 11pm-5am. In summer not on at all.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop has windows so a light is not needed, besides it may give them a false wake up call to go outside

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    A lot of people have lights during the colder months to keep up egg production. I've read that it takes 14 hour days. There are some people who keep a night light on for their chickens in case they fall off the roost.

5. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    A lot of people have lights during the colder months to keep up egg production.

That is true, and the only benefit for keeping a light on in the coop. Some breeds continue to lay the same amount even during winter without lights.

I would not do anything for a chicken that would change their natural instincts. For instance, in the wild chickens roost a dusk and stay there until dawn.
    They do not have a light at all, nor do they need one.​

6. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    The light in my coop is pretty much used only for when I need to see something if it's dark. Other than that, I just use the natural daylight that gets in through the door and window all year long.

7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    The only light my coop gets, is sunlight.
    Jack

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I have windows on all four walls, so I don't need an extra light (and I don't need to boost egg production during winter).

However, I do have one of those battery-operated led lights in the coop for when I need to see something in the dark.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by