Light Sussex cockerel crosses

Ozzy1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 4, 2013
Hey guys,
I've just got a couple of questions about what kind of chicks you'd get from certain pairings: If you were to cross a LS cockerel with a Silver Laced Wyandotte what colour would the chicks be and would they be sexable? And if I were to cross a LS cockerel with a Buff Sussex hen, would the chicks be sexable and what colour would they be?
Thanks! :)

I’ve never done either of those crosses so there is some guessing here but with the Light Sussex rooster over a silver laced hen, I’d expect Silver Laced offspring. They would not be sexable.

With the Light Sussex rooster over a Buff Sussex hen, I’d expect yellow chicks, not sexable. The adult hen would probably look a lot like a Light Sussex. The adult rooster would also look a lot like the Light Sussex except his saddle and hackle feathers would be an offwhite, a little yellow, when they come in.

A Buff Sussex rooster over a Light Sussex hen would give sexable chicks but not the way you are going.

Thanks for the reply. :)
It's a shame neither of the crosses would produce sexable chicks, but no matter; we'll just have to wait and see how they turn out.
But there's not gonna be any breeding anytime soon seeing as my chickens are only a few months old!

Back
Top Bottom