Light Sussex mama not protective

eridzone

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I have 5 pure breed Light Sussex hens, this spring(last month) one went broody and i bought fertile eggs for her. Good day came, we had cute chicks in our coop.

Happy moments finished here, now the very first day i let the broody mama out with chicks into the run with other flock hens tried to chase the chicks and mama literally had big fight (like game bird roosters) with the top hen, mama was the lowest in pecking order before getting broody. After that incident chicks are scared and stay in the little pen inside the coop and rarely come out because that was the only protective instinct i saw in the broody mama but now she does not care if any hen or human approaches her chicks or pecks at them. Mama is still helping the chicks to stay warm, finding the food and water and they all sleep together in their Pen but during the day broody mama and her chicks are still pecked by other hens she just growls with feather raised and do nothing to protect the chicks.

I am worried how to handle the situation if any worse accident happens or worst if she starts loosing interest in chicks.

How good are the Light Sussex as mama?

Thanks in advance

I would get a brooder ready just in case.
Or you could keep them separated from the rest of the flock but to where they can see each other but not pick at your baby chicks or you're hen just so they get used to her. and if this hen ever goes broody again I wouldn't place fertile eggs under her I know some people like to give the hens a second chance but I do not believe it it is the right option

I'm sorry you have this issue and I hope it never happens again.

I would get a brooder ready just in case.
Or you could keep them separated from the rest of the flock but to where they can see each other but not pick at your baby chicks or you're hen just so they get used to her. and if this hen ever goes broody again I wouldn't place fertile eggs under her I know some people like to give the hens a second chance but I do not believe it it is the right option

I'm sorry you have this issue and I hope it never happens again.
Thanks Gearhead846, I was thinking to get brooder too but i see the separation fence kind of future proof solution because we cannot lock the chicks for long time ultimately they will need to hang along the rest

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
It sounds like you don't have enough space for her to work with.
How old are the chicks now?
How many hens do you have?
How large is the run and what is in it?
How large is the coop?
How large is the pen that the momma and chicks have been in?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
It sounds like you don't have enough space for her to work with.
How old are the chicks now?
How many hens do you have?
How large is the run and what is in it?
How large is the coop?
How large is the pen that the momma and chicks have been in?
chicks are now week old
Run area is actually a fenced portion of my backyard(sorry wife does not like the dropping everywhere) and is quite big.
I noticed when other hens are not hungry or are not near food where chicks try to jump in they dont chase chicks.

My main concern is will mama be able to protect them in long run?

Will try that.

Thanks all for your helpful advices, one question remain here, why mama is not protecting the chicks after day one, i mean the aggression she had on first day is nowhere now? and is Light sussex a reliable broody by nature in general?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom