Light Sussex on Eggbid...

I'm just hoping that all these people who simply see dollar signs get bored and drift off to their next passing fancy so those of us who actually care about the rare and heritage breeds can carry on breeding decent birds without the bloodlines being tainted in this way.

I have to say, I got some eggs from a largish breeder, Philips Acres, and the *single* chick that hatched was a hen. She is a rotten quality bird, with ticking all over her back and wings. I'm simply going to throw her in with my layers, I'm not even going to breed her. I wish other people would look at the long term consequences of their actions on an already endangered breed.

I don't know diddly about breeding light sussex or the columbian pattern. But is there any chance that it could just be the plumage of the young bird, and that it will molt out as it ages?
If not, then it is indeed sad that people are so willing to misrepresent their stock.

No, it shouldn't be showing that kind of feathering, even as a young bird. Ticking in this kind of pattern is a serious fault and the result of bad breeding choices.

I have to say, I wish it were that though. Then I wouldn't have the world's most expensive laying hen in my garage.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's funny you should say that. This guy sells BCMs too
roll.png

In light sussex of this age their adult plummage is not in. Even my birds from greenfire farms had ticking all over the place and odd black feathers at this age but as adults are absolutely beautiful with extremely correct coloring! You just never know for sure til they grow up which is why you don't want to cull too early.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom