Which male would you choose? Light Sussex

Oct 2, 2021
Our goal is SOP and we are so close, the judges only feedback for improvement on this year's stock was tail set just needs to be a tad lower.
Anyways our current Rooster has won champion at numerous Ag shows this year and we plan to put him in a state sussex show next month to see how he goes. But, I don't like his hackle colouring being so dark it's the only thing I'd change if I could. He has impeccable manners literally will stand and let you pick him up ect without fuss.
I want to keep one of his offspring from last year just in case something happens as we have extra pens and the space ect.
Which one would you choose? And why? Their temperament is the same both are calm boys hatched Dec 22 so approaching 30w and still aren't crowing but their father was also a very late maturer (re crowing) not a bad trait to pass down for meat birds?
20230617_202934.jpg

These are the current faults I can see just visually,I'm not sure if they will improve... I think it's unlikely and will be picking a better one from this year's hatch when we cross father with better hens.
Screenshot_20230617_203112_Gallery.jpg

Cockerel B is better because he has a more developed breast and much better hackle coloring. He looks much more like a Sussex overall.
If you were to show him just pull the extra feathers, but it is something to look out for in future generations.
The back of A is a little nicer but B is still fine.
Nice pictures, btw.

Cockerel B is better because he has a more developed breast and much better hackle coloring. He looks much more like a Sussex overall.
If you were to show him just pull the extra feathers, but it is something to look out for in future generations.
Nice pictures, btw.
Thanks Amer, appreciate it 🙂

I agree with cockerel B because none of mine have hackles that nice :hmm
I have actually seen someone show a light sussex bantam with the extra black in the feathers. He told me it's a pretty common fault.
Oh really! Yes I know it is common hence my hesitation keeping him 😂 but my hens lack some black in the tail so hopefully we can get a happy medium
Our show team is quite small only 3 Pullets and 1 Cock this year... there are 5 girls we are happy with but I always keep one at home just in case something happens. It would be the worst to lose your whole line to some freak disease which is always a risk...
20230225_103230.jpg

A photo of one of our girls, one of the two who stayed home actually hence why she isn't clean and shiny 🤣

Nice pictures, btw.
Amer what do you think of this pullet (above) is she too full in the breast?

Back
Top Bottom