Light Sussex Thread!!!

Hi from Ga. If your light Sussex are American they will get to about 8#s for the roosters and 6#s for the hens. Australian Light Sussex get to 12#s and 10#s.
97415_100_0417-1.jpg
12#s of fun.

It seems that most of the stock available in the US trace to the Aust bloodlines. Is anyone or better yet, who is breeding "American" Light Sussex?

Quote:
----------------------
These are the four main lines which are available in the US. Bradshaw, Grisham, Dingle, Ron Presley.
Only Bradshaw is Aussie. Dingle is the old man of the woods. Not sure where Grisham and Presley got
their start. Some have diluted Bradshaw with some or all of the other 3 US lines.
Best,
Karen

Here are my Light Sussex little ones. I would like some help guessing the gender at this age. As with other breeds, I know there is only one true way to know. Egg or crow.
I noticed today that one of the chicks has more black on its tail feathers than the other two. Is this a sign that it may be a roo? The pictures are a little blurry because my daughter wouldn't stop chasing them. The one that I think is a roo is the top picture. His legs are also a little thicker than the other 2.

50456_light_sussex_roo.jpg

50456_light_sussex_hen.jpg

50456_light_sussex_hen_02.jpg

Glad there is a light sussex thread. I got my son a Light Sussex last year she is just for eggs and I have a Red sussex which I would never part with as although she is a terrible layer she is the best broody in the world. Anyhow I was thinking I would like to try to do Light Sussex meat birds this year. Mainly because I know the breed as we have some experience but also because they are totally different from my Egg laying pet girls! I was bought a new incubator for Christmas and was wondering about starting the eggs off int he spring and maybe if our Bertha the red sussex goes to brood this year I could dummy eggs under her and then swap them for the light sussex chicks? Bertha would probably keep them until they were 18 weeks or so as she is very maternal after that they should be ready for the pot??? Bertha already has her babies Mable and betty (She brooded them for 18 weeks!) so I wont feel to bad about killing the light Sussex.

It will be my first experience with Meat birds. DH says I will just end up with more pet egg layers!!!! I have to be strong and fill the freezer!!!!!

Oesdog
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom