Light Sussex Thread!!!

Pics
1900101_10200584582496677_1435345637_n.jpg

Nice pic Johnn, the good thing about the muddy feet is you don't get mite issues.

I'm so glad to come across this thread, they're my favourite Breed. I plan to startkeeping them too, I have a guy local who has 3 left which I've asked for him to reserve for me. I bought an already made run and chicken coop but it's too small, so I've converted my sisters playhouse ( with her permission ) and plan on having an area of 12 x 17ft for them to run around in. The playhouse is 4 x 4 ft long 5 ft high.with 2 perches and 2 nest boxes. Is this large enough?

Also, as a side question, The fenced area will be 4 1/2 ft High, do I need to clip their wings or can I safely assume that being large fowl they wont try and fly out?

I'm so glad to come across this thread, they're my favourite Breed. I plan to startkeeping them too, I have a guy local who has 3 left which I've asked for him to reserve for me. I bought an already made run and chicken coop but it's too small, so I've converted my sisters playhouse ( with her permission ) and plan on having an area of 12 x 17ft for them to run around in. The playhouse is 4 x 4 ft long 5 ft high.with 2 perches and 2 nest boxes. Is this large enough? 

Also, as a side question, The fenced area will be 4 1/2 ft High, do I need to clip their wings or can I safely assume that being large fowl they wont try and fly out?

Hi, :welcome
You will probably need to clip their wings. My older birds don't challenge the fences but the 5-12 month olds do.

Hi,
welcome-byc.gif

You will probably need to clip their wings. My older birds don't challenge the fences but the 5-12 month olds do.

Thanks for the welcome!

That's fine, I've no problem needing to clip their wings. But is the run area and coop large enough for 3 hens? they are around 18 w/o, they're starting to mature last I saw them a few days ago, combs and wattles going red and generally coming to point of lay.

Thanks for the welcome!

That's fine, I've no problem needing to clip their wings. But is the run area and coop large enough for 3 hens? they are around 18 w/o, they're starting to mature last I saw them a few days ago, combs and wattles going red and generally coming to point of lay.

Yes, that's ample room for 3 hens.

Back
Top Bottom