Lightening just struck outside my window!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Tala, May 5, 2009.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Yiiiiiikes. It's not even raining that much.

It all of a sudden sounded like a cannon went off, and I saw sparks flying about 6-8 ft off the ground behind my neighbor's shed. There's a pool back there and a fence, and a dog kennel! Eeep!

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's another horrible storm ain't it?
    I just texted my stepdaughter in N. Little Rock and told her, get ready!

3. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    that must have been scary

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

It is raining cows and horses here. Some of the hardest downpours I've seen in a while. One of our eastern counties just reported a tornado. YIKES!

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
  7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:My reaction, too.

Check it out: http://thunderstorm.vaisala.com/explorer.html

Well there's a big blob of em in the middle of AR so I guess the map is correct.

I have a love/hate relationship with everything electrical. It scares me and intrigues me at the same time [​IMG]

8. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    No one is gonna believ this but here it goes. I was 16 near a town in Colorado. I was walking down a road at night to a gas station to get something to eat. It was raining with some but not alot of lightning. I crossed over a bridge and was walking by the metal guard rail when I felt my hair start to stand up. I thought oh crap and covered my ears and dropped going into a fetal position while still on my feet. I just got down and I heard a noise that sounded like a huge tight rubber band being being strummed. Kinda like a twang noise. I remember having my eye closed but them seeing pink as the bolt hit right next to me. The shock knocked me over on my side. The following crack and boom was unlike anything I had ever heard and was deafening. I got up and made an about face as I was no longer hungery. When i got back I noticed the right side of my shirt was dryer then my left and I ended up with a slight redening of my ears and neck. Now that was scary.

jeremy

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I've heard about hair standing up right before it strikes. Sounds like you did the right thing getting down on the ground! That's what I've seen on TV they tell you to do.

I've heard of people who live in the Ozarks part of Arkansas, they talk about lightening coming in their telephone lines, blowing phones off the wall and doing circles in their kitchen! I'm pretty sure it's just "leftover" currents after a strike, not the actual lightening bolts, but sounds pretty scary to me!

10. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Quote:I had a science teacher mention the hair standing up. That's what made me think of it. I still have no idea why i wasn't killed since everything including me was all wet.

jeremy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by