Lighter-than-air pan rolls

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Katy, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Lighter-Than-Air pan rolls

2 packages active dry yeast (almost 5 tsp)
    1 cup warm water
    1 tsp sugar
    Mix together and let set for a few minutes

Mix together 1 cup sugar
    1 cup softened butter
    1 cup hot water
    1 tsp salt

Beat until smooth

Beat in 2 eggs, the yeast mixture, and 2 cups of bread flour. Beat for several minutes. Add another 4-5 cups of flour one cup at a time. After all flour is added, either knead by hand or use mixer with dough hook until dough is smooth and easy to handle.

Let rise in greased bowl until double. Punch down and form into 24 rolls, place in 2, 9X13 greased pans Let rise until double and then bake in a 400 degree over for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

I sometimes substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour for one of the bread flour.

These freeze great. As soon as they're cool I stick them in the freezer...then take out whatever we need and thaw them in the microwave.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Looks like I'll be baking again tomorrow. [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I should add that these freeze great. I freeze them and then hubby just take s a couple out for lunch and thaws them in the microwave.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Oh my, again, lol! I won't fit through the door in a month or two at this rate. You just had to post another yummy starch/carb loaded recipe to torment hubby with until he makes it, didn't you [​IMG] He loves to bake and is way better at it than I am so I just encourage him. It's easier that way, allows me more time to devote to my true addiction, cluckers [​IMG]

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good grief, Katy, just reading your posts is adding pounds to me! Can you substitude real butter for the butter flavor shortening?

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

All printed out, now I need to plan a meal around them. [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I've always been going to try it but never have. I would think it should work.

8. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Ok Katy....

Take all of your favorite recipes to the scanner right now. We are waiting for MORE! [​IMG]

I am gonna have to make these soon. I gotta get to the store and get some supplies. [​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Here's my baking for the day.....my hubby's favorite dinner rolls.
    [​IMG]

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    y'all are killing me here, with all these fabulous bread recipes... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by