Lighting for duck houses? (not for egg purposes!)

prestoconfuoco

Songster
May 26, 2019
Upstate NY
Hey all. Wondering if anyone has good suggestions for what kind of lights they use in their duck houses. Mine are small -- two 4x3 (I think) dog-house-style structures.

The reason I want lighting is actually because I want them to feel comfortable going inside during the day if they want to warm up in there! As it stands, they never want to go inside and I'm assuming it's because it's dark in there. I have chickens as well, and the chicken coop is lit during the day -- and they go in and out of the coop all the time.

I'm just looking for some kind of light that would be good to hook to the roof and use during the day for them. Do most people use hood lamps? Thanks!

Hey all. Wondering if anyone has good suggestions for what kind of lights they use in their duck houses. Mine are small -- two 4x3 (I think) dog-house-style structures.
Just out of curiosity, how many ducks do you have in each house/coop? Each duck needs at least 5 sq. ft of space in the coop. That means that you can fit not more than 3 ducks per house, and even that would be lacking in space.
The reason I want lighting is actually because I want them to feel comfortable going inside during the day if they want to warm up in there! As it stands, they never want to go inside and I'm assuming it's because it's dark in there. I have chickens as well, and the chicken coop is lit during the day -- and they go in and out of the coop all the time.

I'm just looking for some kind of light that would be good to hook to the roof and use during the day for them. Do most people use hood lamps? Thanks!
My ducks never spend time in there coop during the day. I always have to chase them into the coop at night. ;) Assuming you have a water source for them, ducks just prefer to be outside. Mine spend all day in the pond and only go in the coops on cold days.
Do you have ventilation in your coops? That should allow some light to come into the housing, it so it shouldn't be completely dark. You also want 1 sq. ft of ventilation per bird. If you don't have any already, then adding some will make it much much drier on cold days, easier to breath, and will allow more light to come into the coops. Just a thought.

What are your temperatures? My ducks "coop" is a 30x60 barn with both natural and artificial lighting during the day. If it's not below 15 degrees and the snow isn't deep they are never inside even though they have free access. They much prefer the open lean-to that just has a roof when they want shelter during the day. Are you looking for something battery operated or something that plugs in?

Just out of curiosity, how many ducks do you have in each house/coop? Each duck needs at least 5 sq. ft of space in the coop. That means that you can fit not more than 3 ducks per house, and even that would be lacking in space.

My ducks never spend time in there coop during the day. I always have to chase them into the coop at night. ;) Assuming you have a water source for them, ducks just prefer to be outside. Mine spend all day in the pond and only go in the coops on cold days.
Do you have ventilation in your coops? That should allow some light to come into the housing, it so it shouldn't be completely dark. You also want 1 sq. ft of ventilation per bird. If you don't have any already, then adding some will make it much much drier on cold days, easier to breath, and will allow more light to come into the coops. Just a thought.
Thank you for your response!

I do have exactly 3 in each coop. I live in northern/upstate NY (like, actually upstate, a short ways from Canada) so it gets VERY cold here. For that reason I actually wouldn't want to increase the no. of square feet per duck, because I think they wouldn't be able to keep as much heat in during the winter.

I don't think I have a full 3sqft of ventilation in each house. Underneath the eaves of the house (think doghouse still A-roof) is where the ventilation is, and if memory serves it's about 3 inches wide by three feet long on both sides, so if that's correct it'd be 1.5 feet of ventilation.

That being said: I'm about to post a separate issue because my poor drake has some chapping/bleeding skin on his bill, and I noticed this morning there's some around one of his eyes, too. I talked to an acquaintance who runs a sanctuary, and her theory is that it's the cold, because frostbitten skin will crack like that. I'm wondering if it's possible I don't have enough ventilation in the houses, and that's why it happened. The houses are due for some upgrades soon anyway, so I'm thinking I'll put in a bigger vent in the front.

I have a walk out basement coop. My experience is scary monsters lurk in the light. The ducks far prefer to enter the dark basement than braving artificial light. I also have a doghouse day shelter which the ducks only enter to check for food -- they ignored it until bribes to enter began.

Wondering if anyone has good suggestions for what kind of lights they use in their duck houses. Mine are small -- two 4x3 (I think) dog-house-style structures.
Could you install a window?
(Glass or plexiglass or anything similar that lets light through.)

That would give them natural light indoors, whenever light exists outdoors, and you wouldn't have to fuss with electrical cords or batteries or solar-powered things.

I use a string of white LED Christmas lights. They put out uniform lightning that's bright enough for me and minimizes shadows in the corners when I need to do something in there.

My main coop is a medium sized pet gazebo. It has a waterproof canvas roof and I have covered it with plastic tarps to keep the cold out. The back that sits next to our house is open and the front door is always open, that lets in light. When it was 14 below in Ohio where I am this week they did just fine all huddled together and kept warm. There are 7 of them and they go in and out as they please. When it is icy cold they stay in most of the day and stay in all night by their own choice.

I have mine in two horse stalls with shoplights overhead. The lights stay on all the time which isn't good for them, but if I turn them off, they will scream for hours till I turn them back on.

I have mine in two horse stalls with shoplights overhead. The lights stay on all the time which isn't good for them, but if I turn them off, they will scream for hours till I turn them back on.
When I first got my two Muscovy ducklings last summer they stayed in my garage. The lighting in there is intense so they were always in the dark unless someone was out there for something. It is attached to the house and they stayed in there for three weeks until I was able to move them outside. I was concerned about them living in complete darkness but they never seemed to mind and are just fine to this day. It must just be what they get used to maybe.

Back
Top Bottom