Lighting?

I certainly dont know what is BEST, but I am using a pink indoor flood light that puts off a good amount of heat. With temps in the 5-25 degree F range, they need the heat to keep warm. I am leaving it on all the time, being pink, they still get their sleep and my oldest rooster still starts crowing just before dawn.

I actually picked up a couple of cases of these lights at an auction, but they have come in real handy for heating brooding boxes and the hen house. Hopefully someone else can give you better advice on lamp types. Oh, I am getting about 16 eggs a day from 20 or so hens.

I put a 60W bulb in the coop that turns on at 3:30 a.m. via a timer. I don't have electricity in the coop so I ran an outdoor extension cord in there. I also put a flood light out in the run that turns on at the same time as the coop light.

I use a string of white LED christmas lights on a timer. I strung them around the 2 feet by 4 feet ceiling. It is pretty light in there when they are on. My hens have started laying again just this week. Yippee!

Back
Top Bottom