lightweight chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by max13077, Dec 29, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Some(not all) of my birds I've noticed despite looking of normal size seem very lightweight. It feels as if they are feathers, skin, and bones. They are definitely eating well$$$$, The doldrums of winter are here so nobody is ranging three hundred yards away from home for the whole day; I'm just wondering why they're so skinny? Any ideas?

Maybe I got spoiled by the cornish x's and got used to picking a chicken up that weighed ten pounds....[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Max, have you checked for worms?
    Like you I was concerned about a few of my girls being underweight. I never saw any signs of worms other than the weight issue. We don't have a chicken vet around here. After discussing it with a few BYC'ers that I consider to be some really knowledgable people I decided to go ahead and worm.
    The girls that I had concerns about are now at a better weight.

3. max13077

Jeeze, I never thought of that! What do I use to worm?

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    (Don't know about worm medicines.)

Are these mature chickens and what are you feeding them, Max?

Steve

5. max13077

They will be a year old in March. I feed them 16% layer crumbles along with some sunflower seeds, corn, and various other treats. Most of the time they eat the crumbles.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do you have a vet that you can take some fresh poop to. I have a friend who is a vet and if I take her some of the poop she will test it for me to rule in/out for anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by