Ligustrum sinense (Chinese Privet)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 00 Turok, Mar 31, 2012.

1. 00 Turok

00 Turok Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    Is anyone here familiar with Chinese Privet? It's a bushy tree that grows like a weed here in Texas & all throughout the southeastern US. I have these trees growing all over my property.

They grow these little blue/black berries every year & all the migratory birds & song birds love them. BUT... are they toxic to chickens?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would think that if birds eat them , they're not poisonous. And I have some poisonous berries on my property, and NO ONE eats them, not birds or chickens.

I know what Ligustrum is, it's a fast growing hedge or can be modeled into a tree, and gets these little flowers that have a stinky sweet smell (I like it).

3. 00 Turok

00 Turok Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    I like the trees too. My property is literally walled in by privet & the berries fall everywhere. When they ripen dozens of birds fly in to eat them. Just wondering if anyone has ever fed them to their chickens before.

4. carlsaSC

carlsaSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    I think this is what I have in South Carolina. I was wondering the same thing (whether the chickens would like the berries). Unfortunately, it would undoubtedly cause their poop to be full of seeds, and this 'shrub' is invasive enough already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by