Like father like son?

Jtaranc

Chirping
Sep 26, 2022
I was the author a few months ago on the thread "my rooster is trying to kill us" well, he's still with us. I affectionately started to call him Charlie Manson. When I go outside I have a rake by my side and he leaves me alone. A few instances he's went after my legs usually if I'm caught off guard. I've spent time hand feeding him watermelon which he loves and picking him up. He's still a rooster.

Well my Orpington went broody and I let her hatch some eggs.

She hatched one who looks just like him when I bought him from TSC. I was like that figures 😆

I named this one Sinatra, hopefully he's more of a lover.

Attachments

• 20230425_140323.jpg
    20230425_140323.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Collage_2023-04-01_22_05_53.jpg
    Collage_2023-04-01_22_05_53.jpg
    524.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Collage_2023-04-25_15_06_51.jpg
    Collage_2023-04-25_15_06_51.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Aggression is a hereditary trait, so there's definitely a chance he'll end up being just like his father. Please don't let either birds breed again, especially if the son also ends up being aggressive

Aggression is a hereditary trait, so there's definitely a chance he'll end up being just like his father. Please don't let either birds breed again, especially if the son also ends up being aggressive
Well definitely see how he turns out. Yes I agree aggression can be a hereditary trait (I am a RVT and have a degree in animal behavior) this is something I have studied extensively in small animal medicine. I know plenty of people with roosters from aggressive roos who are docile and then aggressive roosters from non aggressive fathers.

The dad is also just a year old and his hormones are amped up right now. He is a fabulous rooster otherwise which is why he's still breathing.

Our family breeds off track thoroughbreds and a few of Secretariats great grand babies were so aggressive they took fingers off people and it didn't end up getting passed to their offspring and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to buy a kin of there's (I have a mare off storm cat and she doesnt have a mean bone in her body). Secretariat was absolutely not aggressive but Storm Cat was. The aggression ended with him. Same with Halo. Those lines are continued extensively to this day. Sorry to go off on a tangent but this is a debated somewhat unproven theory in all animals.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom