Lil' Cockerel Trying to Crow at 7 Weeks!

CalBickieMomma

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Hello Chicken Lovers!

Thought I'd share this bit of news with you, since I'm always seeing posts asking about when roos start to crow. This morning, when I was out in the coop, my July 18th batch of chicks were scurrying about, doing their chicken thing, and one of the little boys (they are American game fowl and Serama/White Leghorn bantam crosses, and some have rose combs and others the straight comb, but I have a pretty good idea which ones are cockerels and which are pullets) stretched out his neck and attempted to crow. So adorbs!

I heard him first, then witnessed him attempt two more times. I say 'attempt' because it was really a 2-syllable cry more than anything ;). Anyway, for those who always wonder how early they start, 7 weeks is the record at my house (I've seen people post that they start as early as 2 months, and I guess this is close enough, but thought you all would like to know). Maybe it's because he's half bantam (though not sure if they start crowing earlier than standard chickens or not).

They're definitely feisty ;). They play-fight and get into little tiffs all the time. I'll be giving most of this group away (I'll keep two of the little pullets because I already have their dad (the Serama/White Leghorn Bantam cross - a sweet little roo, actually) and one of my Buff Orpington chicks turned out to be a cockerel - don't worry, they're all in connected but separate pens).

The neighbor across the road would like them, so we plan on helping her build a coop of sorts to get them used to their new home, then she plans on letting them roam the yard, so hopefully all the brothers will be able to have their space when they're older.

They're definitely feisty ;). They play-fight and get into little tiffs all the time. I'll be giving most of this group away (I'll keep two of the little pullets because I already have their dad (the Serama/White Leghorn Bantam cross - a sweet little roo, actually) and one of my Buff Orpington chicks turned out to be a cockerel - don't worry, they're all in connected but separate pens).

The neighbor across the road would like them, so we plan on helping her build a coop of sorts to get them used to their new home, then she plans on letting them roam the yard, so hopefully all the brothers will be able to have their space when they're older.
I keep multiple roosters. They are fine as long as they can get away from each other. Only my bantam roosters fight in spring. Otherwise they develop a pecking order.

Had a LF cockerel in this years batch start (to try to)crow at 1 week.
Of course it didn't really sound like a crow, but most obviously was a crow.
Had read about it, seen the videos, but never experienced it first hand.
Was pretty funny.

I have a little D'anver bantam boy I think is between 5 and 5 weeks old (I bought him, didn't hatch him) and he started attempting to crow this week. It's pretty cute :)

Adorbs!!!! Some of the others have started crowing since I posted this. And just my luck, in a batch of 11 chicklets, 7 are little roos :p. I think I'll be able to hold onto two of them, but now I'm spreading the word to see if I can find the others homes ;).

Back
Top Bottom