Lima Bean & Corn Soup

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably the tastiest meal I ever ate in Chile was at the most unlikely place - a little food stall in Santiago's Market. What used to be the cattle slaughtering area way back (you old Chicago boys think of how the Stockyards there have changed). This place was huge, 20 by 20 blocks at least - all the old holding and processing areas converted to a huge produce market, areas where block wide flea markets ran on weekends. You could go down to The Market and get huge bags of ears of corn, fresh tomatoes, apples, oranges - whatever. The common denominator price was always 1000 pesos (or roughly two american dollars). You had to go out of your way to get there but the deals were to be had if you looked around - it was pretty run down and it really hit home you were in a Third World country. That day I was looking to buy a large can of EVO at a importer's stall when I saw this kiosk selling food. I ordered this awesome soup. It's not made spicy, instead the Pebre is always on the table to jack it up to the heat you desire - surely it is real comfort food. Enjoy.

Mis en Place

1 bag large lima beans, soaked overnight in 4 qts water

3 Tbls EVO
    2 cups ham, medium dice
    1 medium onion, small dice
    2 Tbls. garlic, rough chopped
    pinch red pepper flake
    5 ears corn, shucked and then cut kernels off cobs
    1/2 cup white rice
    1 medium idaho potato, peeled and cut small dice
    1 large can chicken stock
    3 cups water
    3 bay leaves
    1 Tsp. Herbs de Provence
    1 medium hamhock

Saute ham in EVO, when browned nice nice add the chopped onion and sweat until clear, then add garlic and red pepper flake - saute 2 minutes, add corn kernels and sweat 5 minutes. Add lima beans, rice, chopped potato, chicken stock, water, bay leaves and Herbs de Provence. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 90 minutes. Remove 3 cups of the soup and puree in a blender. Add back to soup pot and simmer 15 minutes, add 1 Tbls salt and 1 chopped roma tomato. Cook additional 15 minutes. Serve in large wide bowls with corn bread.

2. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Oh my Goodness Mike! Your recipies are mouthwatering! [​IMG] Thank-You for sharing!

Lisa [​IMG]

3. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    A soup recipe like this makes me almost hope the chilly Spring weather continues...almost

Recipe is going into the file for cooler weather - which could be next week here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by